How many powerheads do i need?

WrasseMan89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 35 gal cube being set up and I have 2 jebao slw20 power heads but I'm thinking I only needed one. My thought was do a master slave situation and have them alternate to give my tank a nice "natural" flow but it's a 20x20x20 so I think it might be too much. Also I have a HOB skimmer for surface agitation so no sump :(

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 35 gal cube being set up and I have 2 jebao slw20 power heads but I'm thinking I only needed one. My thought was do a master slave situation and have them alternate to give my tank a nice "natural" flow but it's a 20x20x20 so I think it might be too much. Also I have a HOB skimmer for surface agitation so no sump :(
2 is better. It creates turbulence and reduces directly blasting things. You'll want them on either side, 1/3 the way down, pointed at each other and slightly upward. From there you can customize but it's a good starting spot.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truthfully you'll know when you set it up.
Reefs have random chaotic flow which is exactly what you're supposed to replicate in your system. The "right" amount of flow really depends on which types of corals you plan to keep and the fish you eventually stock it with. Some corals/fish are happy working through the current and some absolutely do not like being blown around.

OP
OP
W

WrasseMan89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for the info. I will play around with them. I won't have anything aside from fish for a bit but I can adjust the flow if it's agitating any corals or inverts down the road.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for the info. I will play around with them. I won't have anything aside from fish for a bit but I can adjust the flow if it's agitating any corals or inverts down the road.
You want surface agitation, no dead spots and no sand blowing around.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 3 wavemakers in my 29 gallon. . . could probably get one more in there haha! I think two is better than one. Set them up as "slave" and "master" units and get that sweet back and forth flow!

OP
OP
W

WrasseMan89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a little worried about getting dead spots so I will really have to play around with them to make sure I eliminate those while still incorporating enough surface agitation.

OP
OP
W

WrasseMan89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 wavemakers in my 29 gallon. . . could probably get one more in there haha! I think two is better than one. Set them up as "slave" and "master" units and get that sweet back and forth flow!
Is it pretty easy to set them up for that?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back