Hang -on back Refugiums versus power filters

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I see many new reefers who convert a square tank to a saltwater tank and utilize the most basic power filter, often the same one used for freshwater tank. Often a sign will be cloudy water, elevated nitrates and surface film in the tank. Power filters are simple when it comes to maintenance but they are limited as they are a mechanical method of filtration often lacking chemical and biological filtration means and will be limited to some circulation and polishing water.
The better option would be a hang on Refugium which offers all three filtration needs within a square box and easy to service and maintain. There are units such as CPR Back-Pack, Fuji and others.
Are they affordable>
BRS Just released a new line of refugiums (see below) which are very affordable and I feel a better option for basic tanks without a sump. You are able to utilize macroalgaes and take control of your nutrients as they exceed use of filter socks, skimmers and reduce the need for water changes. In turn, it will reduce phos and nitrate levels

Does anyone use a Hang-on refugium and what has been your experience?
What brand do you use?

@Bulk Reef Supply :

AquaReady

HOB-R Hang-On-Back Refugium​

IN STOCK
SKU

$142.99
Earn 710 Reward Points

HOB-R Hang-On-Back Refugium - AquaReady

Skip to the beginning of the images gallery
Details
Beneficial Biological Filtration & Microfauna Sanctuary
  • Hang-On-Back Design Means No Plumbing Required
  • Includes 110 GPH Sicce Pump
  • Convenient Viewing Portal
  • Intelligent Baffle Design
  • Quick and Easy Maintenance

The AquaReady Hang-On-Back Refugium is designed for supporting the growth of macroalgae to improve water quality and provide microfauna as food for aquarium inhabitants. It features a high-quality Sicce return pump, a baffle housing for media inclusion, a large viewing panel for algae monitoring, and an outlet sponge to minimize microbubbles.

How Does This Fit into Your System?
The Refugium is a tank mounted refugium for growing macroalgae, which improves water quality and can provide food to inhabitants in the form of microfauna. The HOB-R works well for aquariums 20 gallons and larger where the length is at least 17" and the glass/rim thickness is no greater than 0.75".

How Can This Help My Aquarium?
A refugium containing macroalgae will help to control nitrates and phosphates by consuming them as the macroalgae grows. Additionally, macroalgae will compete with nuisance algae within the aquarium, and assist your filtration system in keeping your aquarium water clean.
A refugium can also harbor many beneficial invertebrates, which consume uneaten food or detritus. Invertebrates such as copepods and amphipods will thrive in the safety of the refugium. The presence of an active refugium will ensure a constant supply of these important organisms to help support the aquarium’s food chain and break down nuisance organics.
A refugium light is not included and is needed to grow macroalgae. It is recommended that refugium lighting be run on the opposite light schedule to the main aquarium.

The AquaReady Commitment
We know that you and your aquarium depend on effective and easy to use equipment that is built to last. AquaReady is fully committed to the success of your aquarium experience, which is why every AquaReady Hang-On-Back Refugium comes standard with a 1 Year Warranty.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back