Pods culture size for five pods eater? (4 Dragonets + Leopard wrasse)

Saralay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

Currently I have a couple of Mandarin Dragonets in a 75 gallon with a 25 gallon sump for which I'm already culturing pods in a small 10 gallon tank.

As It have been going well for six months, and the mandarins are fat and happy, I was thinking about upgrading the culture of pods and add some extra pods eaters.

I was thinking about having two mandarin dragonets, two ruby reds dragonets and one leopard wrasse.

Do you think a 50 gallon copepods culture will be enough for all of those? Not sure how much pods the wrasse eats compared to the dragonets.

Thanks.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

Currently I have a couple of Mandarin Dragonets in a 75 gallon with a 25 gallon sump for which I'm already culturing pods in a small 10 gallon tank.

As It have been going well for six months, and the mandarins are fat and happy, I was thinking about upgrading the culture of pods and add some extra pods eaters.

I was thinking about having two mandarin dragonets, two ruby reds dragonets and one leopard wrasse.

Do you think a 50 gallon copepods culture will be enough for all of those? Not sure how much pods the wrasse eats compared to the dragonets.

Thanks.
I think I would get another 10 gallon so that you have two cultures going, in case of a crash in one?

OP
OP
S

Saralay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would get another 10 gallon so that you have two cultures going, in case of a crash in one?

I'll keep the 10 gallon going as a backup when I start the bigger one.

I'm pretty careless with the current one because I feel that the two mandarins will be able to sustain themselves without problem with the pods that breed in the fuge while I start another one.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll keep the 10 gallon going as a backup when I start the bigger one.

I'm pretty careless with the current one because I feel that the two mandarins will be able to sustain themselves without problem with the pods that breed in the fuge while I start another one.
I was thinking that a 10 gallon culture for two fish would be more than enough for the two fish, especially since the pods can breed in the DT. If you set up a 50 you can provide pods to all the local reefers for many kilometers. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
50gal pod culture is insane! Please show pics. Are you going to do a Brute? That's going to require a ton of phyto. I have about 12g total of 3 strains of pods and they slurp down 2gal of phyto+ a supplement of Phyto Feast each week. I'm not sure how often you feed your culture but the more I feed the faster they refill after a harvest. If I feed twice a day, my tisbe culture will go from 10% to 100% in about 10 days. Apolocylops is a little slower. Tiggers seem to only pop once every 6 weeks or so. They are a waste of time IMO. If my Tigger culture ever crashes, it won't be replaced.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back