How Much Rock Space for a Mag?

  • Thread starter Thread starter VR28man
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 16, 2017
Messages
1,178
Reaction score
1,039
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I'm thinking, in roughly a years time, of getting a Heteractis magnifica (if I upgrade my tank). I'm wondering about how much rock space I should set aside for it?

I know it theoretically gets to be 1m or so in diameter in the wild, though I hear different stories about how big they tend to get in aquaria. Would a large (say 10" diameter) fairly flat shelf rock high in the tank, with additional rock below it, work well for a mag?

Based on my understanding, SPS-like random flow and light are its friends? I would try to get it to stay in one area with supplemental spot-like lighting.
 
The 10” rock plan sounds good but there’s always the possibility of it moving
 
I have mine on a large piece of tonga shelf rock approx 18" long by 14" wide ...its a big mag about 12" in dia now. they can grow big with proper lighting so plan accordingly.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new