How Much Rock?

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings, I'm gonna start pulling my old rock out of storage and cleaning it. Then planning the aquascape. I know that what I did last time was a fail (a standard rock wall on the back of a 90G with 145lbs LR) some 15 years ago. Some caves and nooks, but not enough. AND too close too the wall of the tank. Old school numbers suggested 2lbs per gallon, which is very limiting. I've heard, now, that 1lb per gallon is sufficient. However, I want to (eventually) have close to the 1 inch of fish per 3 gallons allowed. Am I going to sacrifice my aquascape possibilities for increased population? Or have the numbers changed. Thx.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feel like ppl nowadays go with something like half a pound of rock per gallon of water. The NSA stuff has taken over lol. You should be able to create a cool scape with 60-70lbs of rock and maybe consider bolstering your tank biome with an additional 20-30lbs live rock in the display or sump

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed the advice here 1lb per gallon which is lots to me. I'm not sure of your plan to use old stored rock however. I am sure there are other ways to deal with that large bio load your going to have. Yes I always am careful to leave room in the back. However I don't think I will ever epoxy rock together again. If you don't you can always change it where it suits your coral better. Just My opinion

OP
OP
PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed the advice here 1lb per gallon which is lots to me. I'm not sure of your plan to use old stored rock however. I am sure there are other ways to deal with that large bio load your going to have. Yes I always am careful to leave room in the back. However I don't think I will ever epoxy rock together again. If you don't you can always change it where it suits your coral better. Just My opinion

OK. This is really good news. That'll leave me plenty to use in secondary or tertiary tanks. I definitely plan on reusing it. It would be a waste not to. And I do plan to epoxy some of it. Definitely not all. Also will drill and add a fiberglass rod to create ledges and overhangs. The only rock I'll buy will be those flattened on the bottom to add stability.

Thank you all. I absolutely LOVE good news. Especially that which bolsters creativity, and saving $$ is a plus one cannot argue with!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back