How to get Sea Cucumber out of a rock?!

Andrew Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I need your help! I have to remove a stack of rocks this weekend to change our Aquascape. The issue, we have a Holothuria Cubana sea cucumber which is wedged into the main base rock for our new Aquascape.

How can I get the sea cucumber out or get him to leave without stressing him out? And is this variety of sea cucumber toxic?

The Aquascape has needed changed for a long time, and we have put off delivery’s of fish and coral for a while because the tank doesn’t have enough holes and caves to sustain more fish.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Andrew

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would transfer the rock he is in to a bucket or other tank with some tank water in it and see if he will come out on his own.

If you have to flush him out you could try gently running fresh water (RO) through the hole he is in but in my opinion that should be almost a last resort technique as they aren't the hugest fans of salinity swings like that.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I get the sea cucumber out or get him to leave without stressing him out? And is this variety of sea cucumber toxic?
Not sure on the first part, but I'd imagine that transferring the rock to another tank and possibly enticing it out with some food may work.

For the second part, I have yet to find a cucumber species that isn't toxic in some way, but 1 - sand-sifting cucumbers generally don't seem to release toxins, 2 - issues from holothurin (the toxin of sea cucumbers) are incredibly rare, and 3 - holothurin is an ichthyotxoin (a fish toxin); so it really shouldn't cause an issue for anything but fish unless in very high quantities/concentrations.

I really don't think the cuke would release toxins if you're just moving the rock it's in, but if you're concerned about it, then I'd say to keep a batch of new saltwater ready for an emergency water change and keep some carbon on hand to run.

OP
OP
A

Andrew Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both! I'll remove the rock into a bucket with tank water, a heater and powerhead for surface agitation. Hopefully some treats will help entice him out.

Hope you both have a great day.

Andrew

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back