What's YOUR Experience with Sea Cucumbers for CUC?

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sea cucumbers get a lot of bad press. At least from what I've read. Some say they release toxins when they die, but I've also heard that's BS and they just release a bunch of nutrients that spike your levels and crash your tank, and the people who have problems are people who introduce them into a tank that's too young to support their nutritional needs.

So what's your experience?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my yellow sea cucumber mostly just sits under a rock, I don't think it cleans much.

Personally, I haven't been able to google even one case of someone's tank crashing because a sea cucumber died. With lots of warnings but no actual cases, I call it a myth.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not every cuke will nuke upon death; As far as I know, that trait belongs exclusively to certain filter feeders (like the sea apple). I have had tiger tails and Florida cukes die in my tanks with no side effects.
I think they are highly valuable CUC. They actually eat the detritus, as opposed to just stirring it up like conchs or nassarius, and since they lack a skeleton, they can get into the smallest of cracks to do their work. I have had to trouble with semi-aggressive wrasses or triggers bothering them either.
My current cuke is one of the pacific black & pink varieties, and it's honestly my favorite one so far. It is out working all hours of the day, mostly on the sand but also in the rocks a bit. It isn't bothered by hermits or asterinas climbing on it, and does a fantastic job keeping my sand pearly white.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my yellow sea cucumber mostly just sits under a rock, I don't think it cleans much.

Personally, I haven't been able to google even one case of someone's tank crashing because a sea cucumber died. With lots of warnings but no actual cases, I call it a myth.
Yeah, "cuke nukes" are extremely rare:
Yeah, I've only heard of a couple of instances where a "cuke nuke" actually took place despite knowing multiple instances of cucumbers ejecting either a toxic fluid, their organs, or their cuvierian tubules, so it's definitely not a common event (at least not with sand sifting species). That said, keep in mind that the toxicity varies from one species to the next, and some species are more toxic in certain ways (some are more toxic when they expel toxins in some way, others contain more toxin in their body wall, etc.), and various circumstances (such as water volume, skimmers, running carbon or not, etc.) about the aquarium they're in can determine how much harm the toxin causes.

Personally, I'd say they generally seem pretty safe, but you need to be aware of the (relatively low) risk and have a plan in place to handle it if things go awry.

The cuke nukings:
An instance of ejecting a fluid (nothing seemed to have been harmed in the tank, but this stuff is reportedly toxic):

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you say it filters the water at the same speed that a clam would?

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m not mistaken they’re more for cleaning the sand bed there is certain types of filter the water as well. I just looked it up on Wikipedia.
If I’m not mistaken they’re more for cleaning the sand bed
I guess there’s some that also filter water

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Sanjay Joshi has talked about cucumbers nuking his tank I believe 3 different times. I can’t find them at the moment but he’s talked about it a few times on RB

Edit - that’s the only first person account I’ve heard though

Last edited:

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sanjay Joshi has talked about
cucumbers nuking his tank I believe 3 different times. I can’t find them at the moment but he’s talked about it a few times on RB

Edit - that’s the only first person account I’ve heard though
But are they worth it?

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
But are they worth it?

That's what I'm trying to decide. I've "heard" a lot of stories, but not from the people who have actually experienced it. Always second/third-hand. That seems to be what everybody else is saying too. Possibly more myth than reality?

Those who have actually had them seem to love them. They're supposedly some of the best sand bed cleaners out there. Right up there with abalone!

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm trying to decide. I've "heard" a lot of stories, but not from the people who have actually experienced it. Always second/third-hand. That seems to be what everybody else is saying too. Possibly more myth than reality?
If you go ahead and get a couple of them, make sure you let us know you can be the guinea pig no disrespect.

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it is a little bit of an oddball, which is always cool to have in the tank

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And one more thing would you be getting it from a local reef store or ordered online? Just thinking shipping would probably stress it out.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m not mistaken they’re more for cleaning the sand bed
There are sand-sifting cukes and filter-feeding cukes; the sand sifters feed from the sand bed, the filter-feeders catch particles from the water column.
Possibly more myth than reality?
It seems to be like the discussion of if Mantis Shrimp can break glass or not - they can, but the chances of them doing so are so low as to be virtually nonexistent for the average reefer:
Yeah, the breaking glass thing is really more an extreme, rare event with big specimens of large species (likely with thin glass or unnoticed structural integrity issues with the glass beforehand in at least some of the cases as well) - there are a handful of instances (see the quote and link below), but they're so uncommon as to be extreme statistical outliers.

So, the acrylic recommendation is more for peace of mind than anything.

oh hate mantis shrimp, my father had on in some living rock years ago and it grew and ended up striking at something on the glass , and cracked the 8mm glass. what a performance

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a minimum depth of sand anyone with experience with these recommend. I run 1 to 2 inch max sand depth. Would this be ok. Seen them for purchase just didn't have knowledge about them.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiger tail cukes are awesome for cleanup crew, and a super interesting and different critter to keep as far as diversity. I think the toxin concern is more for the filter feeding types.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a minimum depth of sand anyone with experience with these recommend. I run 1 to 2 inch max sand depth. Would this be ok. Seen them for purchase just didn't have knowledge about them.
Shallow sand bed is fine. They don’t burrow in my experience but clean the upper layer.

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are sand-sifting cukes and filter-feeding cukes; the sand sifters feed from the sand bed, the filter-feeders catch particles from the water column.

It seems to be like the discussion of if Mantis Shrimp can break glass or not - they can, but the chances of them doing so are so low as to be virtually nonexistent for the average reefer:
@ISpeakForTheSeas thanks for the cuke info!

Two questions:
  1. Do you have a preferred type of sand sifting cuke? Looking for a recommendation
  2. For a 6-foot, 180 gallon tank with a pseudo-NSA aquascape (so a good bit of sand bed), is one cuke enough?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back