How Much Water for Shipping?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eldredge
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 2, 2010
Messages
1,731
Reaction score
664
Location
Eagle, Idaho
What state or country do you live in
Idaho
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have received corals from a number of shippers. Some have been in bags with as much as 12oz of water. Others have had as little as 3oz. I know a lot of shippers use 3-4oz specimen cups. I haven't noticed any difference in the condition of the corals related to the volume of water. I would think that the extra volume would help to stabilize temperature a bit, but how much water is really needed to ship coral safely? Thanks for any help.
 
It is all down to shipping weight. The heavier the box the more dollars.

Fish use up much more oxygen the inverts and coral the least.
 
Depends on shipping method, though. Personally I think overnight is a waste of money for zoanthids and many soft corals, and prefer to ship them 2-day flat rate . In that case, the more water the better.

I've also noticed that big slimy soft corals like Sinularia, Kenya Tree, and Xenia need to be shipped in larger volumes of water.

Zoanthids you can get away with abut 100 ml.
 
Thanks for the replies. So, I guess a few ounces for typical corals might be enough? Maybe more for big slimy ones?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new