How often can you blackout for GHA?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the ICP says 2ppm. Hard to tell the difference between 0 and 2 with standard kits.

It does not look like bryopsis. Does it look like yours from the pictures?

my light (viparspectra) cannot be kept that high in such a small tank. I use the settings suggested by other users (1%W, 15% blue). I will increase blue channel to 30 until I can turn whites back on, it should not hurt anyway.
Why is there a problem with the white channel btw in your opinion?
White contributes more to algae growth. It does help par though and make the tank nicer to view. Blues and UV are absorbed by corals and minimizes their affect on algae. When I said 100 I meant spectrum color for blue and UV. Intensity is your preference based on par for your coral. Briopsis has a very fern like appearance on its branches. Can't tell from your pics due to blurry. You want nitrates at 10 and phosphate around. 07 to .1 for your coral nutrients. If you can close up the algae under white light only please for ID.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lavey29 @Spare time @Dan_P Hope it is clear. This is from my fuge but its the same stuff.
IMG-20220514-WA0009.jpg
20220514_205710.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that was my idea too. Weird that many people say that keeping mg high kills them but I always had mg around 1500
It doesn't kill them per se. It turns the ends white and weakens them so they detach easily for the cleaners and manual removal.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lavey29 @Spare time @Dan_P Hope it is clear. This is from my fuge but its the same stuff.
IMG-20220514-WA0009.jpg
20220514_205710.jpg
Yep, looks like green hair algae, mostly. Under the microscope you’d probably see a more complex situation, like cyanobacteria filaments, though that tidbit of info may not help you. I did not eliminate GHA from my display tank until I dumped in Mexican turbos.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, looks like green hair algae, mostly. Under the microscope you’d probably see a more complex situation, like cyanobacteria filaments, though that tidbit of info may not help you. I did not eliminate GHA from my display tank until I dumped in Mexican turbos.
Yeah I tried few times. Every time I get them for some reason they die within 2 weeks. No problems with trochus or other snails but mexican turbos don't thrive in my house

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is still young, under a year old correct? Did you start with dry rock? If even feeding a little extra food causes a break out then you're biodiversity is off and it can't handle the load. I would suggest cutting lighter period down and less whites. Allow it stabilize and feed live phyto as opposed to the dead phyto from Seachem. Let your biodiversity grow and establish itself.

If you really have the need to add something to get rid of the GHA then i would suggest a Sea Hare or Lettuce Nudibranch, they are utilitarian and do not add much bioload

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I tried few times. Every time I get them for some reason they die within 2 weeks. No problems with trochus or other snails but mexican turbos don't thrive in my house
Two weeks is fast. Could they starve that fast? Cobalt poisoning from trace element dosing? Mine are reluctant to eat algae with even a little cyanobacteria present.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back