How often do you clean your automatic neck cleaner

  • Thread starter Thread starter Newb73
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

How often do you Clean your automatic neck cleaner

  • Every 6 Weeks

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You have to clean that thing?

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    4

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 19, 2012
Messages
1,281
Reaction score
999
Location
Southeast
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to determine if the efficiency of this thing actually decreases with time and if so...at what point do you think that happens.

From what I have seen it happens some where around the 6 week period because the inside of the lid and the swabbie itself becomes so gunked up with crud but I certainly could be wrong.
 
once every 2 -3 weeks.
 
As an update when I cleaned mine today after 5 and a half weeks the cup was as clean as day one in the neck area. The only issue I can see with not cleaning it more often is that around rim at the very edge you can get build up which I suppose can fall back into the skimmer. Although the top was also covered I did not see too much evidence that it was in danger of falling into the skimmer. My bigger concern would be gunk clogging up the collection line running to the skimmate collector but no evidence of that either.

Avast marine recommends every 2 to 3 weeks as well but I am not seeing too much reason to do it that often atm 5+ weeks is too long, but 4 weeks may work just fine.
 
You have a valid point, if you don't have a "reason" to clean it; than you shouldn't...
It really boils down to how often or how much gunk accumulates before a real need to remove that gunk is required.
Some systems will have less of a need, yet other would have more but, as you probably already know, each system is different and so will the cleaning needs be. :)
 
Last time I cleaned mine was 8 months ago. There was some good gunk on it.
 
It was still keeping the inside of the neck clean so I felt no need.
 
I clean it when I empty the cup which is usually every week to week and a half.
You need to drill that cup and add an extra reservoir Jimbo! I go 2-3 weeks before I empty my reservoir.
 
I've got a Vertex...I paid big money to have them install a drain for me! :cool:

I do have my old ATO reservoir I could use I guess...hadn't thought about that.
 
I use the medium size Avast marine locker in conjuction with a swabbie.

I find I can go 10 days to 2 weeks before it fills the 1.5g locker.

I will probably stay on my 6 week to 8 week schedule for the swabbie.....it seems to work pretty well to service the gfo and swabbi on the same schedule.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new