How often do you replace your test kits?

How often do you replace your test kits?

• 0-6 months

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 6-12 months

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • 12-24 months

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • > 24 moths

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I never replace my reagents

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm am sure this has been discuss before, but I wasn't able to find a thread quickly. What I am wondering is how often everyone is swapping out their test kits to use fresh reagents.

From time to time when I am having some issue in my tank I start to question whether the results that I am obtaining when I am doing my testing are accurate. The first thing I always wonder is how old are my reagents, and then I look and realize that I have been using this same kit of over 2 years. While most test kits come with an expiry, like most raw chemicals I would imagine that this date is the "unopened". Has anyone ever had this same thought? Do you swap out your reagents on a regular schedule?

And go.....

DieHardPhotog-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^Same here... we're so new that we're testing out the wazoo!! With the exception of the Red Sea Marine Kit that we started with, all of our Hanna Checkers have run out of reagents and they've been replaced especially alkalinity and phosphates. Most of the Red Sea agents are running low as well.:oops:

OP
OP
aarbutina

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test often enough that I never have any kits hit the date before they are used up. ;)

Very good point. I guess my testing schedule of some things isn't a rigid as it is of others. Normally I try to do Alk every day, but it can slip to every other day. But things like CA and Mg I normally only do once a week.

In this case in particular I am wondering about my Mg kit. It is two years old and my readings all show that my Mg levels are normal, but I can't seem to raise my Alkalinity above 7.3-7.5 and when i add beyond a couple mL of liquid soda ash at a time there is a visible precipitation event. I don't see any evidence of precipitation on my pumps or heaters but I am wondering if my Mg levels are lower than they are reading, and hence the precipitation.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good point. I guess my testing schedule of some things isn't a rigid as it is of others. Normally I try to do Alk every day, but it can slip to every other day. But things like CA and Mg I normally only do once a week.

In this case in particular I am wondering about my Mg kit. It is two years old and my readings all show that my Mg levels are normal, but I can't seem to raise my Alkalinity above 7.3-7.5 and when i add beyond a couple mL of liquid soda ash at a time there is a visible precipitation event. I don't see any evidence of precipitation on my pumps or heaters but I am wondering if my Mg levels are lower than they are reading, and hence the precipitation.
When in doubt I always try a different kit and see if they are close. If you are dosing 2 part, are you adding calcium too?

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replace them when they run out. Which is usually well before the expiration date. I also keep at least 2 different brands for each test. That way I can compare results if I get a funny reading with one kit.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Whats a test kit?? After 30+ years of reefing, I rarely if ever use one
I let the fish and corals tell me when I need to make adjustments which is rarely to never

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think I've had one expire. I test the following every Saturday morning (or the day prior to a water change if I'm off schedule for some reason):

Salinity
Alkalinity
Calcium
Magnesium
Phosphates
Nitrates

If I change a dose I'll generally check that parameter a couple times over the week to see if I've got it right.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Don't think I've had one expire. I test the following every Saturday morning (or the day prior to a water change if I'm off schedule for some reason):

Salinity
Alkalinity
Calcium
Magnesium
Phosphates
Nitrates

If I change a dose I'll generally check that parameter a couple times over the week to see if I've got it right.

water changes.jpg

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a saltwater API kit when I got into the hobby in ‘08. I still used it almost 10 years later and it still worked fine. Alk was the only thing I went through a lot of test kits for.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my test kits have been in the closet for 4 years...... I even bought the fancy digital ones (different color units for each test - forgot the brand it's been so long).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back