How often do you run your uv?

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the beginnings of an ich outbreak, I took your guys advice and put an 18w uv sterilizer on my reefer 350 w 90 total Volume.

I have been running it 24/7 with an AI axis 40 pump at 100gph for the last two weeks. The visible ich appeared to be gone within 24 hours, it was amazing.

Now, I want to set up a schedule for simply keeping the water clear and algae under control.

What speed and schedule do you all use for algae control and clarity?

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV won't cure ich. The visible ich was gone because that's the normal life cycle of ich. UV might make it less severe but it can't touch what's on the fish already and can't kill what doesn't pass through it.

That said mine runs 24/7 and is just inline on the return.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the beginnings of an ich outbreak, I took your guys advice and put an 18w uv sterilizer on my reefer 350 w 90 total Volume.

I have been running it 24/7 with an AI axis 40 pump at 100gph for the last two weeks. The visible ich appeared to be gone within 24 hours, it was amazing.

Now, I want to set up a schedule for simply keeping the water clear and algae under control.

For algae you need to up the gph to around 3x tank volume as algae multiply fast so you need to hit them quickly to help keep it under control, you will definitely still get algae tho if you dont keep on top of your nutrients, same for keeping the tank clear, therefore it would also need to be 24/7.

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my UV, a 50w Pentair 24/7 for the first year I had the tank. For some reason the tank never quite settled. Never had that issue before. I followed some advice and turned the UV off. It's been about 6 weeks and the tank is really starting to settle out and problems are resolving (mainly algae cycle and CUC longevity).

Not sure how long I will have it off for. I do clean the glass much more often now.

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV won't cure ich. The visible ich was gone because that's the normal life cycle of ich. UV might make it less severe but it can't touch what's on the fish already and can't kill what doesn't pass through it.

That said mine runs 24/7 and is just inline on the return.
So I’ve been told, but the tangs had white ich spots on them that had started Sunday morning, flashing on rock and corals. I installed the uv in the afternoon and by Monday morning it was all gone. Either way, I’m happy it worked out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I run mine 12 hours and during the night

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
And this is just for algae? What speed?
I run at moderate speed and at night as phyto develops during the day and i want to avoid shocking it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back