How often do you service your UV?

WhatCouldGoWrong71

TheDryReef
View Badges
Joined
May 19, 2023
Messages
3,758
Reaction score
2,777
Location
Memphis
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I get that we should change our bulbs once a year but, I have a Pentair 40w (and 25w on a different tank) that I serviced yesterday. It’s been running 24/7 with a 10 minute break at midnight, why, not sure, one of life’s many mysteries. When I inspected the bulb, the ends have slight dark spotting, I just changed a bulb in the other unit that had been running for a year, and the bulbs looked similar, this 40w was purchased brand new, so I know it’s history, unlike the 25w. However, when I took the the sleeve out I was shocked at how much calcification after 3-4 months was on the sleeve. I think the UV may have been nearly useless with this level of calcification. For those that service, is this normal?

IMG_2072.jpeg
 
I clean the bulb inside the UV (stuff gets stuck on it) at the 6 month mark. Then I just replace it every January. So 1 year bulb
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 19.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new