How often does everyone feed clown fish?

Kabaliwi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tangerine albino clown fish and a starry blenny. They are all small. I have been feeding 2-3 times a day and it seems like it's never good enough. Whenever I am near the tank, they come up to the top as if I was feeding them. Am I under feeding or over feeding?

And the starry blenny eats everything... Should I be feeding him something in particular?

Please help! Still fairly new to the hobby.

Thank you

Omar
3ydydeva.jpg

uzevame8.jpg

e3a9uzy4.jpg

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish will never be satiated. One feeding a day is enough in my opinion, sometimes I feed twice though. Otherwise you may run into nutrient issues. Diversifying what your feed would be good as well.

Ward9320

It's NOT a Nemo!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish are opportunistic eaters because in the wild they never know when there next meal is going to come around so when they get a chance to eat, they take it.

I feed mine pellets on Tuesdays and Thursdays once, sometimes twice a day. Then on Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays I feed them and my corals Mysis. Occasionally I throw in some Brine Shrimp as a snack. Saturday and Sunday the tank doesn't get feed because my tank is on my desk at work and I don't work on the weekends. :angel:

Everyone feeds there fish differently so your probably going to get a lot of different answers.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish are constant beggers XD I'm feeding my clowns 4x daily but only because they're very young (and growing like crazy!!) I'll be cutting it back to 2x daily in a couple months. But yeah, these guys are always hungry, even when they're getting plenty. If they start getting skinny you can always bump it up. :) Don't forget variety!

OP
OP
Kabaliwi03

Kabaliwi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently feeding both pellets and flakes. I switch it up daily and when I feed the corals, they grab what they can. I have a fighting conch who grabs the leftovers.

My other concern is my starry blenny. I see him grazing on the live rock here and there, but he also eats flakes. Should I be feeding him anything else?

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed about 5 times a week, skipping a day here and there and have done it that way for over 25 years now with many fish living past 13 years. The youngest fish I presently have is about 9 years old, fat and sassy.

socal619

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feed mine twice a day, mixture of mysis, rotifiers, brine, squid. if im in a rush or dont feel like thawing food i feed pellets

OP
OP
Kabaliwi03

Kabaliwi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got them, they wouldn't eat anything. I started with pellets and flakes because I was advised to then when I feed my corals they eat mysis here and there. I would like to back off a feed them every other day. From what everyone has said, that seem to be ok.

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine seem to always be starving! just like yours, mine see me and beg! but you have to be strong! lol
they will eat everything and dont need to be fed everyday! once every other day is good enough my friend!

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing it up with frozens is a good idea, even if just for a treat. An herbivore frozen might be appreciated by the blenny.

While we're on the subject, I heartily recommend New Life Spectrum pellets.

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed reef, heavy on SPS, and so have to be careful about feeding. Nitrates need to stay low. I feed my fish, which includes paired clowns, once a day. It's a mixture of IO gel food Ominovore blend, flakes, and large and small NLS pellets. All the fish have been in this tank about 3 years or more, and all are growing well.

Feed too much and you'll get algae and cyano issues. Pay no attention to the fish begging. Once a day should be fine.

Last edited:

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to keep in mind is that clown fish are omnivores and should be fed both meaty foods as well as algae. I typically feed my clowns every day. I alternate between several different types of foods including algae sheets.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are pigs they will eat everytime you feed. I only feed mine once a day what they will consume in 2-3 minutes. If you feed to much you will start having nutrient issues which will lead to algae , high nitrates etc. My fish are fat and happy with one feeding a day every day.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to keep in mind is that clown fish are omnivores and should be fed both meaty foods as well as algae. I typically feed my clowns every day. I alternate between several different types of foods including algae sheets.

My first two clowns were afraid of algae sheets XDD

cMan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow reading this.. Makes me think I am barely feeding mine! I feed mine about once every 4-5 days.. They are healthy and have been disease free ever since birth! They have been in my tank for three years!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back