How often is too often to be putting your hands in your tank?

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after having an issue with velvet and losing fish a second time. I realized I have more to learn and more questions to ask. I read replies to my velvet issue with some people saying placing your hands In a tank is never good can spread sicknesses etc.

so really what’s the procedure here. Sometimes you need to move a frag out of a bad spot or off a sand bed etc. sometimes you have to scoop out a dead fish...
how often can you be placing your hands in a tank without making trouble..

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands in a tank isn’t an issue. It’s a question as to whether the hands are clean or not.

so like say once a week on average my hand was in the tank, that’s ok.

from what I understand you want no soap or anything like body wash cologne etc on your hands arms when you put hands in the tank. What is the best way to have clean hands when going in the tank? Just rinse with plain fresh water?

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after having an issue with velvet and losing fish a second time. I realized I have more to learn and more questions to ask. I read replies to my velvet issue with some people saying placing your hands In a tank is never good can spread sicknesses etc.

so really what’s the procedure here. Sometimes you need to move a frag out of a bad spot or off a sand bed etc. sometimes you have to scoop out a dead fish...
how often can you be placing your hands in a tank without making trouble..

We put our hands in the tank at least a few times a day, there is always something that got knocked by a snail or needs adjustment. I would just take the proper precautions to make sure your putting chemical clean (no soap, cleaning agents) or well rinsed hands in the tank. We have been more cautious about the hands in the tank after loosing our aussie gold and purple torches (I've read they melt under all kinds of conditions).

Here are a few things we would recommend:
  • Gloves we use these ones from amazon have two pairs for myself and my wife. We haven't had any issues I washed them with water and vinegar before putting them into the tank.
  • Aquascape tweezers.... I would them in a kit.
  • If you don't want any of it, make sure to rinse your hands before putting them in the tank... If I've used any soap product within 30mins-1hr I typically will run my hands/forearms under warm water for a few mins.
Looking forward to seeing what everyone else does! Good post!

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We put our hands in the tank at least a few times a day, there is always something that got knocked by a snail or needs adjustment. I would just take the proper precautions to make sure your putting chemical clean (no soap, cleaning agents) or well rinsed hands in the tank. We have been more cautious about the hands in the tank after loosing our aussie gold and purple torches (I've read they melt under all kinds of conditions).

Here are a few things we would recommend:
  • Gloves we use these ones from amazon have two pairs for myself and my wife. We haven't had any issues I washed them with water and vinegar before putting them into the tank.
  • Aquascape tweezers.... I would them in a kit.
  • If you don't want any of it, make sure to rinse your hands before putting them in the tank... If I've used any soap product within 30mins-1hr I typically will run my hands/forearms under warm water for a few mins.
Looking forward to seeing what everyone else does! Good post!
I’ve just been washing hands up to elbow under warm water for about 120 secs

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just been washing hands up to elbow under warm water for about 120 secs
It is hard to say without putting everything under a microscope. If you're concerned I definitely would go the glove and tools route.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember it's important to wash your hands, arms and whichever body part you dipped in the tank, AFTER you take them out of the tank.

I put my hands in my tanks often. Placing Nori, and general maintentance and cleaning.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stick my hands in the tank daily. Just make sure they're clean

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back