How often to feed a harlequin Shrimp ?

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I would see mine come out I would wait a couple of days and then give it a small cc star..... They will keep the star alive till the very end.... You just need to make sure that it is small enough that the shrimp can flip it over... No need to worry about a star decaying in the system
I have a pair too. Friday mine came out and I was out of cc starfish so I went to the closest lfs to get some and they were out. So today I called around Houston for some and all of the good lfs r out. The place I never by from have some but their fish always look sick and I really don’t want to buy from them. A lot of the lfs’s r closed on Monday so I’m waiting till tomorrow to hopefully find some. Do u think they r ok till then. I have been raiding my other 2 tanks for asterinas and given them about 10 each day

Randygus01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a really bad out break if anesteria star fish. My Harley's been going for over 4 months. My sump is still full of stars and I see a few every week in my tank. So I think somehow by accident little babies are making there way into main tank Hope this continues

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, there have been a lot of asterina stars in the tank. I didn't notice them touching my corals, but their amount on the glass of the tank spoils the view and I decided to get a harlequin shrimp.
The biggest problem is that we have bureaucratic lawlessness in Israel. Imports of many species of invertebrates are prohibited.
All types of sea urchins, all types of starfish, all types of tridacnas and nudibranchs and most of the shrimp. On sale only you can find Lismata, Fire Shrimps and Harlequin.
Now imagine what kind of aiptasia we have to deal with when there are no peppermint shrimps and nudibranchs feeding on aiptasia on sale.
All that remains is the file-fish and the cupper-band, which do not always do their job.
I suspect that the amount of asterinas that I have will not last long for a harlequin shrimp, and then what?
Starfish are not sold.
Is there some kind of replacement?
Maybe someone somewhere sells dry starfish, such as dried fruits, etc.?
I even found a person on one of the forums who gave strips of frozen Hake with a photo of how harlequin shrimps eat it.
I don't really want these experiments, since I have a 65 gallon ULNS system.
Who will have any thoughts on this topic?

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And one more question.
I have a fire shrimp in my tank. Will they get along and what can I expect?

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, there have been a lot of asterina stars in the tank. I didn't notice them touching my corals, but their amount on the glass of the tank spoils the view and I decided to get a harlequin shrimp.
The biggest problem is that we have bureaucratic lawlessness in Israel. Imports of many species of invertebrates are prohibited.
All types of sea urchins, all types of starfish, all types of tridacnas and nudibranchs and most of the shrimp. On sale only you can find Lismata, Fire Shrimps and Harlequin.
Now imagine what kind of aiptasia we have to deal with when there are no peppermint shrimps and nudibranchs feeding on aiptasia on sale.
All that remains is the file-fish and the cupper-band, which do not always do their job.
I suspect that the amount of asterinas that I have will not last long for a harlequin shrimp, and then what?
Starfish are not sold.
Is there some kind of replacement?
Maybe someone somewhere sells dry starfish, such as dried fruits, etc.?
I even found a person on one of the forums who gave strips of frozen Hake with a photo of how harlequin shrimps eat it.
I don't really want these experiments, since I have a 65 gallon ULNS system.
Who will have any thoughts on this topic?
if you can’t feed it don’t get it.

Xandertank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can’t feed it don’t get it.
Does it hurt the stars when you cut the legs - not sure which is worse, chopping the legs or feeding it the live stars. Only star in the local shop was a sand softer which mine took and ate throughout the week.
I got one a few weeks ago as I had a good supply of asterina in the tank. So bought some from eBay and then a sand sifter. Should 1 sifter be enough per month?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so is it true that they only eat alive stars or frozen too ? also if I'm gonna cut a leg from one cc star how do I do so that the rest of the starfish don't die ? Should I acclimate the star ?
Only live. Minimum 1 chocolate chip leg per week.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%

Back