How often to feed a harlequin Shrimp ?

mOnsterzOas26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all , just got me a harlequin shrimp and I'm wondering how often to feed , also what's the cheapest starfish to feed thanks ...

OP
OP
mOnsterzOas26

mOnsterzOas26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is

Attachments

• 1391368776434.jpg
    1391368776434.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,529

Haddonis Reef

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd buy cc star fish bad cut a leg off throw the rest in the freezer. Do this every three week to a month!

Nanofreak79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They only like to eat live food. I feed my pair a whole CC once every three to four weeks. You can buy many CC's and cut legs off them and just cycle through them, giving them time to re grow there legs. I can usually tell when there hungry as well because they will come out of there cave and walk around the front of the tank.

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I would see mine come out I would wait a couple of days and then give it a small cc star..... They will keep the star alive till the very end.... You just need to make sure that it is small enough that the shrimp can flip it over... No need to worry about a star decaying in the system

OP
OP
mOnsterzOas26

mOnsterzOas26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so is it true that they only eat alive stars or frozen too ? also if I'm gonna cut a leg from one cc star how do I do so that the rest of the starfish don't die ? Should I acclimate the star ?

Boa1277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 and they will eat frozen CHoc Chip all day long. Now I cut the legs into chunks and feed each a chunk once a week.

pugbug99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine every month one cc star, but I do have the little white starfish in the tank for them also so they always have something to eat.

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 Weeks or month is to long of wait poor things. Feed it a leg a week at the very least 2 tops. if you're worried about it dying in your tank just freeze it

Nanofreak79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They eat the starfish from the inside out. The starfish stays alive the whole time it is being eaten, assuming it's being fed whole. I feed mine a whole CC, and when they finish I wait till they start cruising around the tank again, which has come to signal me there hungry again. I got sick of chopping up stars, and I don't know of any that are eating frozen/dead stars?

Nanofreak79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all , just got me a harlequin shrimp and I'm wondering how often to feed , also what's the cheapest starfish to feed thanks ...
This is the whole issue right here...do some homework before you purchase something spur of the moment. It never ends well! Usually happens with Mandy's as well.

OP
OP
mOnsterzOas26

mOnsterzOas26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the whole issue right here...do some homework before you purchase something spur of the moment. It never ends well! Usually happens with Mandy's as well.

I did my research bro , I just like to hear different opinions from different forums that's it

pugbug99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine once a month or every three weeks and I buy the small chocolate chips and feed the whole thing. I also have asterina stars in the tank also and they eat those too

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%

Back