How old is to old

  • Thread starter Thread starter miyags
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 12, 2009
Messages
1,787
Reaction score
814
Location
Erie PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55gal tank in use now for around 27 years. Im looking to buy a larger used tank on craigslist. So how many years, do you think is too old to purchase?
 
To be honest, if you've kept the same tank for that long just treat yourself and buy a new one. You deserve it!

But just in case you go for used, look at the seals for separation and cracking. Age doesn't say much, some tanks could have been put in storage (cracking seals), bad seal contact (cleaning or manufacturing), etc.
 
I'd stay away for tanks with slate bottoms and chrome edging.....only because I don't know what that black goop was that they used to seal the edges. It wasn't silicone. Oh, and I had a bunch of these tanks when I started with freshwater in the 60's.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new