How our wild reefs are disappearing

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that we can harvest corals :) I myself keep them but not many people understand the danger there in and how important they really are so I wrote this
All of the tropical reefs will be fading away by the end of the century. Coral reefs are disappearing faster than we can tell. With the climate change, our coral reefs are being damaged at an alarming rate. The reason this is happening is because of the green house effect. The green house effect traps carbon dioxide in our atmosphere. This carbon dioxide is then absorbed partly by the ocean, which directly affects the coral. The acidity of the water rises as carbon dioxide levels increase in our oceans. The carbon dioxide in the air turns to carbonic acid, which does not allow the corals to grow their calcium shell; the outer layer of the coral, which protects them from other organisms.
Coral reefs are extremely important to the environment and people. Reefs play key roles in the environment by offering a home to a variety of organisms. Coral reefs are important to the economy because they offer tourist attractions, such as diving, snorkeling, and fishing. They are barriers for the local communities because they block waves from the ocean. At least 500 million people depend on coral reefs for food, costal protection, and for their livelihoods. Coral reefs are important to the environment and our economies. They play a key role in medicine, are used to cure diseases such as cancer, HIV, and cardiovascular diseases. Corals provide around 375 billion dollars in global goods each year. They are also home to over 25% of the world's fish species.
Twenty percent of the world's coral reefs have been destroyed in the past decade. Another 20% has been crucially damaged. Since the beginning of the industrial revolution, the carbon dioxide has increased from 280 ppm(parts per million) to 358 ppm(parts per million). This is due to the burning of fossil fuels, and to our choice to not take action while we still could drastically improve the environment. We tend to not notice a problem until it is too late. Although many coral reefs have been destroyed, we can still take action to save the remainders of our reefs. We have a chance to save them, and if we take action soon enough, the reefs can be a beautiful site for many to enjoy. Many people need coral reefs to live; now they need us.
There is however hope for the remainder of our reefs. Many programs are in place to preserve and protect these corals. People are not using as much water, so they can minimize the amount of runoff and water waste. You can walk, ride the bus, or ride a bike to locations you would normally drive. This can help cut down the amount of carbonic acid in the ocean. Many coastal cities are planting trees, because trees reduce the amount of runoff that goes into the oceans. Trees also help to stop the heating of our planet, because they take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen. Another way people are helping is by spreading the information and telling others how our reefs are disappearing. Although it does not seem as valuable as some of the other options, it is the most important out of all of them. If we did not have people spreading the news that our coral reefs are being destroyed then we would not have as many people willing to help.
Coral reefs are improving, but not by much. We need to continue to make changes in order to preserve the reefs. There are now many laws against taking corals from nature and those who have permission to harvest and sell are limited to which coral they take. This effects the coral people may purchase, but also protects the coral. We have areas marked off for boaters, and swimmers. This keeps people out of areas drastically affected by carbonic acid. The corals then have time to grow and thrive once more without the physical effects of humans. Although it will take many years to fix the environmental issue, we can start with the physical aspect and work our way up from there. Without coral reefs we would not be able to have fish like tuna. Tuna travel through coral reefs every year, and reproduce in them. If we were to get rid of our coral reefs then we would nowhere for tuna to reproduce. Then the tuna would die out as well.
We will have no more coral reefs in the year 2100 if we do not act fast. These beautiful aspects of nature are too important to lose. These living organisms cannot defend themselves. We need to help them, they are a necessity of our lives and many people have depended on them for centuries. They now are depending on us, and we have no choice but to help them, if we help the corals we are also helping over 500 million people. I have always loved fish and the beauty of nature. I have a reef aquarium at home, which I care for that contains; corals, anemones, starfish, and countless fish. I am very fortunate that every day I am reminded how beautiful our world truly is. This is a site that I would want many generations to see and love. The Great Barrier Reef in Australia is one of the Seven Wonders of the World. Many people may never get to see this beautiful site and we are to blame for it. We can not pass this issue on to future generations to handle, because we will never know when it is too late. Humans are greedy and we often only think of ourselves, often we forget that these organisms have just as much of a right to live on this planet as we do. They have been on this planet for millions of years thriving, and we can somehow manage to push them close to extinction in a few centuries. Writing this paper has made something very clear to me. We never take action when nature needs us most we take our time, often when we are ready, it is too late.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very widely debated topic and there are sources of information which have taken on both sides of the story. Both sides of the story contain truth and speculation alike.

While there are many factors that figure into the realm of "coral reef destruction" not all of these are regulated. But as more countries begin to realize that this is not an infinite source and needs some regulation things have started to improve. Collection is actually one way to help preserve the reef and re-plant corals in ares that have been hit by destruction.

The harder things to control that are affecting the reefs is pollution, climate change, and natural predators. Many countries do not want to regulate pollution as it can slow industrial growth. Climate change is debated whether it is a factor of humans or just a cycle the earth goes through. Either way it is getting warmer and corals will need to adapt. We don't have enough ice to cool off the oceans. Natural predators wreaking havoc on the environment like crown of thorns starfish and lionfish are causing environmental destruction as i type this. These are things we are still trying to fully understand.

In the end, corals have survived many different earth cycles in the past. They have adapted to grow in different areas and have come back after natural disasters. We will see reef recession and we do need environmental regulation not just for the reefs but to make the whole planet better off for future generations.

Just my quick $.02 to add to your story. Nice paper though. You should add where you sourced your information as well as the target audience for the original paper. It would give readers a better idea on how to look for more info and who your target audience was.

OP
OP
ohio reefer

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1365907435.318567.jpg
photo (2).jpg
photo (11).jpg
photo.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back