How quickly can I increase phosphate levels

miller75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to raise my phosphate levels (Currently 0), I have been searching but cant find any recommendations on how quickly to increase them. Can I just bring them up to 0.05 in one go?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to raise my phosphate levels (Currently 0), I have been searching but cant find any recommendations on how quickly to increase them. Can I just bring them up to 0.05 in one go?
Yes that is not a huge amount. Mine fluctuate more then that.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that, I have just upped it to 0.05
Cool, you want to maintain. 05 to .1 phosphate. Feeding coral stuff like AB plus will raise phosphate but dosing more accurate. I had to do it for some months before my tank balanced out.

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your also not going to hurt anything by going slower. Why not go half way and see how things sit?

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Your also not going to hurt anything by going slower. Why not go half way and see how things sit?
i agree!

pellet foods and LIVE phytoplankton seem to raise phosphate at a reasonable pace. either that, or dose coral foods like reef roids/reef chili/benepets as they stay in the water column longer. but be mindful when feeding these as they can raise the PO4 too much

OP
OP
M

miller75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling 0 Phosphates for a while now, I have tried over feeding flake/pellet foods and adding live phytoplankton but I just cant get it to stay up so I now have Cyanobacteria.

I haven't used any coral foods yet because I only have 2 torch and 2 hammer frags in at the moment.

I have dosed enough to get it to around 0.05 (I will test in a couple of hours to make sure its fully mixed), I am aiming for 0.08 so went for 0.05 to start with to ensure I don't overdose.

I will check again tomorrow at the same time to try and work out my daily usage so I can put it on my auto doser

To be honest I have no idea what's using it, 4 frags in a Redsea 425XL with no algae

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling 0 Phosphates for a while now, I have tried over feeding flake/pellet foods and adding live phytoplankton but I just cant get it to stay up so I now have Cyanobacteria.

I haven't used any coral foods yet because I only have 2 torch and 2 hammer frags in at the moment.

I have dosed enough to get it to around 0.05 (I will test in a couple of hours to make sure its fully mixed), I am aiming for 0.08 so went for 0.05 to start with to ensure I don't overdose.

I will check again tomorrow at the same time to try and work out my daily usage so I can put it on my auto doser

To be honest I have no idea what's using it, 4 frags in a Redsea 425XL with no algae
As randy indicated it is being absorbed by your rock and sand. Eventually equilibrium will happen though and then it should rise naturally without dosing.

Mppp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What did you dose to get phosphates up exactly?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 46 47.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 51 53.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.4%
Back