How reef safe is Metronidazole?

Breadbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Q:
My fish is dying of flukes and QT is not an option(must medicate dt), pure prazi medication wouldn't be available for a few days, all I have on hand is a mix of prazi+Metronidazole(Api general cure).
How badly would it affect inverts or should I wait?

Background :
I tried isolating my gramma in a qt but he refuses to eat in qt and isn't improving even after medicating for 5 days.

I'm 90% sure he has flukes as he is whirlwind scratching against the wall while not showing any white spots, he's also covered in a few translucent patches which I believe are flukes.
He now exists in 2 modes, wedged between rocks or furious scratching. It honestly hurts to watch as his purple is fading.

My midas blenny is also furiously scratching, but not as much while being much more energetic with a better appetite.
He always swim at turbo speed on the surface of the water(doesn't swim anywhere else) to a point he tries to stick his head out of water, yawning and tail chasing/biting are also observed. Nothing can be seen on his skin, does this point to a case of gill flukes?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Q:
My fish is dying of flukes and QT is not an option(must medicate dt), pure prazi medication wouldn't be available for a few days, all I have on hand is a mix of prazi+Metronidazole(Api general cure)?
How badly would it affect inverts or should I wait?

Background :
I tried isolating my gramma in a qt but he refuses to eat in qt and isn't improving even after medicating for 5 days.

I'm 90% sure he has flukes as he is whirlwind scratching against the wall while not showing any white spots, he's also covered in a few translucent patches which I believe are flukes.
He now exists in 2 modes, wedged between rocks or furious scratching. It honestly hurts to watch as his purple is fading.

My midas blenny is also furiously scratching, but not as much while being much more energetic with a better appetite.
He always swim at turbo speed on the surface of the water(doesn't swim anywhere else) to a point he tries to stick his head out of water, yawning and tail chasing/biting are also observed. Nothing can be seen on his skin, does this point to a case of gill flukes?
Metro is not invert safe and best administered in separate tank or container
If fish is not stressed or breathing heavily, a freshwater dip for 5 min would offer some relief
Just assure FW temperature is the same as tank temperature

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem mentioned that they tried it in a reef tank and nothing happened. I can't remember if they fed it or dosed it but if you google it their forum should come up

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back