How lo g for prazi to relieve scratching?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed fluke symptoms last night, dosed prazi as per instructions to QT.

The breathing seems a lot better, but i am noticing some loght scratching by my lawnmower blenny and bristletooth tang. Roughly once every 20 minutes.

The tang just rubs one side against the PVC, so idk if its a hard scratch, but I have never dealt with scratching as a symptom and I just want to know if its normal to still see some 24 hours into prazi first dose.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Noticed fluke symptoms last night, dosed prazi as per instructions to QT.

The breathing seems a lot better, but i am noticing some loght scratching by my lawnmower blenny and bristletooth tang. Roughly once every 20 minutes.

The tang just rubs one side against the PVC, so idk if its a hard scratch, but I have never dealt with scratching as a symptom and I just want to know if its normal to still see some 24 hours into prazi first dose.
Prazi takes 2-3 days to start working. Assure proper dosage and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both!

I always read 1 to 3 hours they would have fallen off, so I just assumed maybe I was wrong, but they do seem better.

The QT they are in is a 20 gal with a bunch of PVC, power head churning the water up top, air stone in the corner, and a tidal 55 hob.

3 occupants, green halichorus wrasse and blenny have been in the tank a long time to go through prophylactic treatment, tang was introduced 2 weeks ago. Was waiting for the tang before starting treatments, and first signs of infection popper up about 30 hours ago, first boticed the blenny bite at his dorsal fin a little and both scratch here and there, with way more noticeable breathing.

At least it finally got me off my butt to start meds. I've yet to have a wrasse make it through QT, so I was nervous about starting meds. I think I caught it fairly early, I will go through 2 doses of prazi over 2 weeks, wait a few days amd start 30 says of copper power.

Its tough with the wrasse because it only comes out during the day. It's been natural light only so by the time I get home the wrasse has gone to sleep, and I only get to observe it the few minutes I wake up and feed the tank. I think I am just going to have to trust this is a hardier wrasse that has already done well in the tank since october, and rely on the other two for monitoring or symptoms.

@vetteguy53081 you mention 8 days apart for the prazi, I will adjust to that dosing schedule. Do you have any personal recomendations on copper power ramp up for a halichoeres chloropterus? I am not starting it until the large WC after 2nd prazi round completes. I am very conflicted on the slow ramp or no ramp debate for chelated copper + wrasse. Which is the entire reason its been in there so long, and they deserve to make it to their new home before spring.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you both!

I always read 1 to 3 hours they would have fallen off, so I just assumed maybe I was wrong, but they do seem better.

The QT they are in is a 20 gal with a bunch of PVC, power head churning the water up top, air stone in the corner, and a tidal 55 hob.

3 occupants, green halichorus wrasse and blenny have been in the tank a long time to go through prophylactic treatment, tang was introduced 2 weeks ago. Was waiting for the tang before starting treatments, and first signs of infection popper up about 30 hours ago, first boticed the blenny bite at his dorsal fin a little and both scratch here and there, with way more noticeable breathing.

At least it finally got me off my butt to start meds. I've yet to have a wrasse make it through QT, so I was nervous about starting meds. I think I caught it fairly early, I will go through 2 doses of prazi over 2 weeks, wait a few days amd start 30 says of copper power.

Its tough with the wrasse because it only comes out during the day. It's been natural light only so by the time I get home the wrasse has gone to sleep, and I only get to observe it the few minutes I wake up and feed the tank. I think I am just going to have to trust this is a hardier wrasse that has already done well in the tank since october, and rely on the other two for monitoring or symptoms.

@vetteguy53081 you mention 8 days apart for the prazi, I will adjust to that dosing schedule. Do you have any personal recomendations on copper power ramp up for a halichoeres chloropterus? I am not starting it until the large WC after 2nd prazi round completes. I am very conflicted on the slow ramp or no ramp debate for chelated copper + wrasse. Which is the entire reason its been in there so long, and they deserve to make it to their new home before spring.
Do not ramp up copper. Ramping up is not recommended as increasing copper level slowly can allow the disease to gain resistance making it harder to treat given disease. Get to the full treatment level within 24 hours. Copper doesn't work well until you get above 2 ppm, and then, it can take three days to slow/stop an infection.
Flukes which are flatworms do not fall off quickly and soon return in numbers when untreated.

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not ramp up copper. Ramping up is not recommended as increasing copper level slowly can allow the disease to gain resistance making it harder to treat given disease. Get to the full treatment level within 24 hours. Copper doesn't work well until you get above 2 ppm, and then, it can take three days to slow/stop an infection.
Flukes which are flatworms do not fall off quickly and soon return in numbers when untreated.
That's what I thought for the copper.

Thank you

Also shocked to hear that about flukes in prazi time, just the forum posts that come up make it sound way quicker of a process, but also describe causing spasms in the worms, which I would think a spasm would cause them to clamp hard, so go figure.

They are old posts, and few, i was searching for more and almost no one talks about it being imidiate and only refer to the state after a dose cycle, so that makes sense. But the lack of posts saying its not imidiate left room for me to worry lol.

Thank you again

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both!

Correct - flukes drop off within hours of a prazi treatment, but that irritates the fish’s skin and symptoms may worsen for a day or so afterwards.
The 8 day spacing is to try and kill flukes that hatch from eggs still in the tank after the first treatment.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back