OP
OP
PuffParty

PuffParty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - I've see micro bubbles causing coughing, so I imagine that them bumping into the fish's skin might also cause a scratching reaction.

Jay

Hmm, I’ll try turning the filter down then and see if it makes a difference. I’ll be relieved if it’s just because of bubbles, but also a little dumb getting worked up over bubbles they definitely stick to the puffer’s skin since he’s a slimy little dude so would make sense since he’s the one scratching…

Thanks again, Jay. Hopefully next time I’m back will just be to say everyone is happy and healthy, haha.

OP
OP
PuffParty

PuffParty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so great update, unfortunately- I lost the Gramma a couple days ago. He took a turn for the worst and was struggling to breathe. I did look at his gills immediately after he passed and they were pale white, so on par for the labored breathing. There's no way the QT tank wasn't aerated enough either, as I have two air stones and a small powerhead, plus daily water changes to bump up salinity & make sure ammonia didn't cause any issues. There was a small amount of ammonia in the QT since it wasn't cycled previously, but under 0.25 ppm. Was using Prime and stability to keep that low, and I'm sure the slight ammonia didn't help at all, but it shouldn't have been enough to make him completely unable to breathe... I got the salt up from 12ppt to 27ppt in the QT over 15 days, so not like I was raising it too quickly. No more than 2ppt per day (usually a little less), and I took some break days where I didn't raise it if he looked off, so I don't believe I shocked him.

In the DT, I turned down the filter so there aren't microbubbles everywhere now, but the clown and puffer are still obviously being bothered. Still flashing occasionally, and I saw the puffer puff up today which he does when his gills are bothered. Clown yawns occasionally as well. Both are still eating like pigs, and still no physical signs of anything on anyone (including the Gramma).

It's almost time for me to start raising the salinity in the DT now, but I can tell I'll still have whatever gill issue is going on. So I guess not flukes and not ich at this point. And still 0 ammonia in the DT.

I was looking at Brook, but there's no extra slime or anything on anyone and never was, even prior to meds or hypo. Maybe velvet? But I feel like that would have taken them out quicker, and even the Gramma never showed any spots or anything after I began raising salinity... The only issue seems to be that they can't breathe right and that isn't helping me narrow anything down :(

Maybe a bacterial gill infection? I'm just trying to have a planned course of action for once I get the salinity back up since this is still an issue. Any ideas on where to go next?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so great update, unfortunately- I lost the Gramma a couple days ago. He took a turn for the worst and was struggling to breathe. I did look at his gills immediately after he passed and they were pale white, so on par for the labored breathing. There's no way the QT tank wasn't aerated enough either, as I have two air stones and a small powerhead, plus daily water changes to bump up salinity & make sure ammonia didn't cause any issues. There was a small amount of ammonia in the QT since it wasn't cycled previously, but under 0.25 ppm. Was using Prime and stability to keep that low, and I'm sure the slight ammonia didn't help at all, but it shouldn't have been enough to make him completely unable to breathe... I got the salt up from 12ppt to 27ppt in the QT over 15 days, so not like I was raising it too quickly. No more than 2ppt per day (usually a little less), and I took some break days where I didn't raise it if he looked off, so I don't believe I shocked him.

In the DT, I turned down the filter so there aren't microbubbles everywhere now, but the clown and puffer are still obviously being bothered. Still flashing occasionally, and I saw the puffer puff up today which he does when his gills are bothered. Clown yawns occasionally as well. Both are still eating like pigs, and still no physical signs of anything on anyone (including the Gramma).

It's almost time for me to start raising the salinity in the DT now, but I can tell I'll still have whatever gill issue is going on. So I guess not flukes and not ich at this point. And still 0 ammonia in the DT.

I was looking at Brook, but there's no extra slime or anything on anyone and never was, even prior to meds or hypo. Maybe velvet? But I feel like that would have taken them out quicker, and even the Gramma never showed any spots or anything after I began raising salinity... The only issue seems to be that they can't breathe right and that isn't helping me narrow anything down :(

Maybe a bacterial gill infection? I'm just trying to have a planned course of action for once I get the salinity back up since this is still an issue. Any ideas on where to go next?
Bacterial gill disease is a possibility. Flukes should have been controlled. However, there are other fatal diseases that cause anemia that are not diagnosable or treatable: myxosporidians, viruses and coccidea. I lose fish to these issues, and even veterinary histopathology cannot always identify them.

Jay

OP
OP
PuffParty

PuffParty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial gill disease is a possibility. Flukes should have been controlled. However, there are other fatal diseases that cause anemia that are not diagnosable or treatable: myxosporidians, viruses and coccidea. I lose fish to these issues, and even veterinary histopathology cannot always identify them.

Jay
Thanks for weighing in, Jay. Maybe I’ll give an antibiotic a shot and see if it does anything. If not, I think I’ve tried most of what I can at this point since there aren’t any physical signs of the usual diseases… im assuming it’s best for the fish to be back at full salt before dosing anything? And any clue as to what would be a good med to attempt, like kanaplex, general cure, or reef rally? I know you can’t say for certain since we don’t know what it is, but I guess I’m looking for whatever is going to be the broadest spectrum to give me the best chance at beating this if it is anything cureable.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for weighing in, Jay. Maybe I’ll give an antibiotic a shot and see if it does anything. If not, I think I’ve tried most of what I can at this point since there aren’t any physical signs of the usual diseases… im assuming it’s best for the fish to be back at full salt before dosing anything? And any clue as to what would be a good med to attempt, like kanaplex, general cure, or reef rally? I know you can’t say for certain since we don’t know what it is, but I guess I’m looking for whatever is going to be the broadest spectrum to give me the best chance at beating this if it is anything cureable.
I woukk k e bring the fish up to at least an SG of 1.020 before starting the antibiotics. I prefer Neoplex, but Kanaplex also works well. General cure is for parasites, and rally pro is not a true antibiotic.

Jay

OP
OP
PuffParty

PuffParty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woukk k e bring the fish up to at least an SG of 1.020 before starting the antibiotics. I prefer Neoplex, but Kanaplex also works well. General cure is for parasites, and rally pro is not a true antibiotic.

Jay
Okay, I'll try to grab some Neoplex and know Kanaplex is a good enough backup if I can't find it for whatever reason. We'll see what happens. Thanks again as always, Jay. I've never had to tackle something this complicated!

OP
OP
PuffParty

PuffParty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, one more question actually! Can Neoplex be dosed in the DT (without inverts)? Looks like the directions say it doesn't get held in by the substrate, but I know sand affects many other meds so I just want to be sure from those who have experience with it...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, one more question actually! Can Neoplex be dosed in the DT (without inverts)? Looks like the directions say it doesn't get held in by the substrate, but I know sand affects many other meds so I just want to be sure from those who have experience with it...

I prefer to use Neoplex in a hospital tank, but it can be used in a fish-only tank. Any time you dose antibiotics, you will want to monitor the ammonia level in case the antibiotics kill your beneficial bacteria.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back