How should I clean equipment for storage?

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

Bought a cycled 200+ gal tank, but can't set it up for two months. Also, I'll be moving across the country during this time.

So.... Any advice on cleaning and drying equipment so that it can be boxed up and shipped?

Rock: The live rock is drying out for storage and I opted to ditch the old sand. When ready, I will cure it before using. Should be good there.

Sump: Should I rinse and save old filter media, or will that just overload a new setup with nitrates later?

Pumps/skimmer: should I scrub down the impellers to avoid crusty blockage, or is that a waste of time?

Bulkheads: There was a significant amount of salt creep on one of them, so I'm going to fix that one for sure. what about the rest? Should I replace all?

Plumbing: non-issue, I gotta re-plumb the whole thing anyway

Chiller: I've never had one of these before. I'm tempted to just leave the whole thing alone and not bother trying to take anything apart.

Thanks for your help!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd break down the pumps (all the way) and give them a vinegar cleaning.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Iona Skye
I'd replace the sump media too and try to get some new gaskets (seals) for all your bulkheads.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back