How should I cut these two leathers?

WhatCouldGoWrong71

TheDryReef
View Badges
Joined
May 19, 2023
Messages
3,758
Reaction score
2,777
Location
Memphis
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
1) How should I cut these leathers (2) off the rocks? They are about 8” around.
2) Will they release toxins?
3) How can I prevent it from growing back?
4) in the video I pan to a holy grail on a tile. A couple years ago I had that holy grail mounted to that rock the leather is attached to. The holy grail took off. There are about 50 “eyes” on the rock under the leather. That leather is sitting in 900 par (anything can be acclimated to a certain point). Am I going to scorch all the holy grail eyes that are living on the rock under the leather?

 
Cutting a leather is as simple as reaching in with a clean pair of scissors and cutting it. Yes it will release toxins so you should run activated carbon, and yes it will grow back. Even the tiniest piece of tissue left behind will try to grow back, but I think you should be able to cover the piece on the rock with glue or another coral, basically shade it from light, to try to prevent it from growing back.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new