How should I get rid of this bryopsis

AnyNameYouWish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a “small” patch of bryopsis. How should I go about getting rid of it? It’s small enough now I feel if I attack it correctly it’s manageable but if I wait I believe it will be a proper nightmare. Removing the rock is pretty much a no go and I’m afraid to pluck it and it spreading all over the tank. I’ve got reef flux but I’m afraid it will kill my acros.

If this was your tank how would you handle it?
69BEC924-5034-4C09-B0A1-102C9229BA18.jpeg
59190E5F-789B-4C5E-82D1-8292FAC3E494.jpeg

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose hydrogen peroxide, that may start to kill it. Usually recommended dose is 1ml for every 10 gallons of water. It would be easy if you could remove the rock and just dip it in h2o2.

Alternatively you can go full warfare on it and just nuke it with fluconazole, commonly known as reef flux. But this has its own disadvantages as well.

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used reef flux with great success. Albeit had no acros in the tank when I did it. So, can’t speak on that front. But none of the sps or other lps or zoas seemed phased by it one bit.

OP
OP
AnyNameYouWish

AnyNameYouWish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My acros handled the reef flux without issue.
Do you have any zoa’s in your tank? It’s success like your that makes it seem just so easy to beat it but it’s the couple horror stories that have me nervous to use it and I’m trying to figure out what may be the factor that some people with acro’s are having deaths using it

OP
OP
AnyNameYouWish

AnyNameYouWish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose hydrogen peroxide, that may start to kill it. Usually recommended dose is 1ml for every 10 gallons of water. It would be easy if you could remove the rock and just dip it in h2o2.

Alternatively you can go full warfare on it and just nuke it with fluconazole, commonly known as reef flux. But this has its own disadvantages as well.
I may have another go at h2o2 dosing. I was trying to beat Dino’s a few months ago (which I did) and when I h2o2 dosed a few of my sps were really ticked off particularly my bubblegum digi, to be fair it may not have been the h2o2 itself but what it was doing to the Dino’s or what ever else was going on at the time that was ticking the corals off

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was fine using reef flux, although this is the third time the byprosis has returned. Tons of acros. giving the tank a break before using it again. Just don't overdose it, and let it pay out the full two weeks. I always stop when it looks like its gone I think is my issue.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also thought of this but was unsure of how well it would work or make is spread spores
Edited because I was confuesed

If you smother it, like with a pancake of epoxy, nothing can get out. It dies. The end. :D

OP
OP
AnyNameYouWish

AnyNameYouWish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was fine using reef flux, although this is the third time the byprosis has returned. Tons of acros. giving the tank a break before using it again. Just don't overdose it, and let it pay out the full two weeks. I always stop when it looks like its gone I think is my issue.
What other corals did have aside from the acros?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%

Back