Turf algae problem

follyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 gallon reef tank with sump which has been set up for 6 years. I noticed a small amount of turf algae 12 months ago which I should have got rid of but now it’s multiplied & is encroaching on my corals. I’ve recently tried Brightwells Razor which did absolutely nothing. I thought I’d try Flux RX but not sure how long I should wait after water change before using. Has anyone ideas or could give me advice. Hope you can see the dark patches on picture. Thanks Sandra

IMG_0030.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a 150 gallon reef tank with sump which has been set up for 6 years. I noticed a small amount of turf algae 12 months ago which I should have got rid of but now it’s multiplied & is encroaching on my corals. I’ve recently tried Brightwells Razor which did absolutely nothing. I thought I’d try Flux RX but not sure how long I should wait after water change before using. Has anyone ideas or could give me advice. Hope you can see the dark patches on picture. Thanks Sandra

IMG_0030.jpeg
This stuff is one of the headaches of reef keeping. One of the methods I found effective. . .. If establissed, YOU CAN OFTEN PRESS DOWN ON IT WITH YOUR thumb, then peel it back. (sorry for caps- I accidentally hit button for caps) If no good on peeling, you may have to resort to taking the rock out of tank and placing in a container of tank water and scrub with a firm brush such as automotive detail brush or pull with pick as below.
After you are done return rock to tank and reduce white light intensity and even hours of white light and add the following cleaners which will help with control. These guys will consume it as fast as it grows - They will never keep up.
Pin cushion urchin, Chiton snails, ninja star snails, pitho crabs, and larger astrea snails

This procedure is not as bad or time consuming as it seems. Assure phosphate levels do not become elevated which helps feed this algae

harbor Freight:

dental picks.png

Upvote 0

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0030.jpeg
Don't wait. Use the Flux RX and start the clock.

Upvote 0

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people use flux with great success but it has its risks. I used it for gha and it did work ok for the algae. Got rid of most but not all of it and I ended up with a bad case of cyano. TBH the cyano was worse than the gha. Hopefully if you use it you'll be one of the successful stories. I just wanted to mention my experience.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

follyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff is one of the headaches of reef keeping. One of the methods I found effective. . .. If establissed, YOU CAN OFTEN PRESS DOWN ON IT WITH YOUR thumb, then peel it back. (sorry for caps- I accidentally hit button for caps) If no good on peeling, you may have to resort to taking the rock out of tank and placing in a container of tank water and scrub with a firm brush such as automotive detail brush or pull with pick as below.
After you are done return rock to tank and reduce white light intensity and even hours of white light and add the following cleaners which will help with control. These guys will consume it as fast as it grows - They will never keep up.
Pin cushion urchin, Chiton snails, ninja star snails, pitho crabs, and larger astrea snails

This procedure is not as bad or time consuming as it seems. Assure phosphate levels do not become elevated which helps feed this algae

harbor Freight:

dental picks.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

follyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for reply. I’ve tried pulling it out but it’s so firmly rooted into rock as it’s impossible to detach it but will try pushing it down first. I cannot take the rocks out of tank as most covered in corals. Is there anyone who can advise as to how soon after applying Razor & doing a water change can I use flux rx please

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for reply. I’ve tried pulling it out but it’s so firmly rooted into rock as it’s impossible to detach it but will try pushing it down first. I cannot take the rocks out of tank as most covered in corals. Is there anyone who can advise as to how soon after applying Razor & doing a water change can I use flux rx please
I have used razor which helps but rarely removes this. Flux, no luck

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I’d try Flux RX but not sure how long I should wait after water change before using.

I don't have any advice or comments fluconazole, except to note that there's no relationship between when you last did a water change and using it.

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back