Bryopsis

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I'm am battling Bryopsis for about 2 weeks now. 4 days ago I started dosing hydrogen peroxide along with mb7 at 1ml/10gals. Doesn't look like it has got better, seems like it's getting little worst, imo. I have couple questions while dosing. The tank is 14 months old and going through fallow period for flukes and has about 10 frags.
Running filter sock and floss, changed daily.

1. Can I run the skimmer and/or algae turf scrubber.
2. I'm dosing phosphates which are at 0. They are not budging at all. Is the Bryopsis absorbing all of them?
3. When should I be seeing results? Or should I try something like Flux RX?

Salinity 1.026
Ph 7.9
Alk 8.3
Cal 460
Mag 1390
Phos 0
Nit 24.8 and decreasing

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi All,
I'm am battling Bryopsis for about 2 weeks now. 4 days ago I started dosing hydrogen peroxide along with mb7 at 1ml/10gals. Doesn't look like it has got better, seems like it's getting little worst, imo. I have couple questions while dosing. The tank is 14 months old and going through fallow period for flukes and has about 10 frags.
Running filter sock and floss, changed daily.

1. Can I run the skimmer and/or algae turf scrubber.
2. I'm dosing phosphates which are at 0. They are not budging at all. Is the Bryopsis absorbing all of them?
3. When should I be seeing results? Or should I try something like Flux RX?

Salinity 1.026
Ph 7.9
Alk 8.3
Cal 460
Mag 1390
Phos 0
Nit 24.8 and decreasing
Peroxide and MB7 wont do a thing for bryopsis. This is one of the more challenging of algae due to need of its complete removal. Removal is best accomplished by taking the rock out of tank and placing in a container of tank water. Then you will want to pull as much as you can by hand and discard. With a dental pick or small crochet needle, pull the roots off the rock. YOU MUST GET EVERY ROOT OR IT WILL SIMPLY RETURN !!
After you are done return rock to tank and reduce white light intensity and even hours of white light and add the following cleaners which will help with control. These guys will consume bryopsis but not as fast as bryopsis can grow - They will never keep up.
Pin cushion urchin, Chiton snails, pitho crabs, and larger astrea snails

This procedure is not as bad or time consuming as it seems. Assure phosphate levels do not become elevated which helps feed this algae

harbor Freight:

dental picks.png

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try flucanazole for the bryopsis. It’s generally safe for corals.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are willing to throw some in a bag and ship it to Florida before you kill it I am desperately trying to grow it.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are willing to throw some in a bag and ship it to Florida before you kill it I am desperately trying to grow it.
Why are you trying to grow it?

Never mind, I found the reason in a thread of yours. :)

c0kefree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluc, manual removal and i cannot stress enough, a lettuce sea slug.

Sea slug was the only thing that got rid of the bryopsis that remained in the shaded areas after the fluc treatment.

OP
OP
M

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of it. Looks brown with the naked eye but looks dark red under blue lights.

Attachments

• 20240107_100450.jpg
    20240107_100450.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 20240107_100421.jpg
    20240107_100421.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 46

luilui

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to my business travel, I had neglected my tank and depended upon My son and my auto feeder to take care of the fish feedings. When I returned, my 85 gallon tank was completely covered with bryopsis and GHA. My phosphates were out of control as my kid was feeding the fish too much frozen and live brine. I tried phosphate remover, carbon, UV, as well as manual removal every 2 days for a month, as well as H2O2 inoculations with 20% water changes every week, but without success. Hermit crabs and a large lawnmower blenny did nothing. Finally I got 9 large Mexican Turbo Snails (1.5 inch). Success!! They mowed down the algae to the rocks. Even the 2 inch stuff. Unbelievable! You could see the "mowed" path each snail made. 1 month...so far so good...no more growth where the snails ate. If there are missed spots, just pick up the snails and set them down directly on the algae patch, and they will mow it down. If you don't want to use chemicals, these snails should do the job, but be sure to get the largest ones you can find. I tried the smaller ones, and they just made a small dent in the algae growth..the bigger the snail, the bigger their appitite.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back