How should I raise my nutrients without dosing?

jonny4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 60 breeder (48 x 18 x 16) with a 10g sump that’s 8inches filled. I have a really small skimmer (tunze 9001) that fills the cup twice a week. I have 5 fish, A yellow eye kole tang, African flameback angel, peculiar clown pair and a 6 line wrasse. I never really test nitrate/phosphate but since I recently transferred the tank and used new sand a little over a month ago and have a tiny bit of diatoms I decided to test. Salifert couldn’t detect nitrate and my Hannah checker gave me 0.01ph.

I feed a nice amount, usually flakes. I feed some reef roids about once a week. I do weekly water changes of about 7 gallons, should I stop water changes for a week to see how much the level rise? Only thing I’m considering is either adding more fish which my tanks looks pretty darn fish deprived, or do less water changes. I really wanna upgrade to a bigger skimmer but since I tested the water I’m holding back on that since it’s already low on nutrients

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 60 breeder (48 x 18 x 16) with a 10g sump that’s 8inches filled. I have a really small skimmer (tunze 9001) that fills the cup twice a week. I have 5 fish, A yellow eye kole tang, African flameback angel, peculiar clown pair and a 6 line wrasse. I never really test nitrate/phosphate but since I recently transferred the tank and used new sand a little over a month ago and have a tiny bit of diatoms I decided to test. Salifert couldn’t detect nitrate and my Hannah checker gave me 0.01ph.

I feed a nice amount, usually flakes. I feed some reef roids about once a week. I do weekly water changes of about 7 gallons, should I stop water changes for a week to see how much the level rise? Only thing I’m considering is either adding more fish which my tanks looks pretty darn fish deprived, or do less water changes. I really wanna upgrade to a bigger skimmer but since I tested the water I’m holding back on that since it’s already low on nutrients
Wheres your nutrients at? Why do you want to raise?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably just turn off the skimmer, continue with generous feedings, and reduce water change frequency.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing is cheap and easy, but feeding more is another option. If you have a refugium, light it fewer hours. I'm not a fan of turning off a skimmer due to loss of aeration.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back