How should I reduce nitrates?

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates tend to be in the high teens or lower 20's. (Chart below). My phosphates are good, trending between .03 and .08. I think the refugium is keeping the phosphates in check but not the nitrates.

I'm considering:
1) Kick butt refugium light - Maybe the current system of triple ~9w blurple lights should be replaced with a big kessil or something?
2) Sulphur reactor - Seems low maintenance but Andrew Sandler's fish (Polo Reef) got popeye from it. Is it safe? A good fit?
3) Carbon dosing - Will this kill my refugium? Tropic Marin? Red Sea NO3: PO4-X? Vinegar?
4) Nothing - The tank is kind of new and some people think my levels aren't so bad.

Extra info: The tank is four months old, but half of it is transferred from another tank so it might be a bit more mature than typical.

What would you do?

1706987324169.png

OP
OP
vanguard

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add, I change about 25% of the water in my 150 gallon system each week. I'd rather not step that up any higher.

OPL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re worried about the nitrates, you could try feeding less. Do you have any hair algae etc/how many fish?

I use the tunze refugium light for my refugium which I would recommend if your wanting to try a different light.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrates are fine. Carbon dosing will kill chaeto. Try dosing PNS probio which is a natural heterotrophic bacteria that eliminates organic waste before it becomes nitrates.

OP
OP
vanguard

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re worried about the nitrates, you could try feeding less. Do you have any hair algae etc/how many fish?

I use the tunze refugium light for my refugium which I would recommend if your wanting to try a different light.
I have a little hair algae in the places I can't reach. I'd probably have more if it wasn't for manual removal.

I use a pair of tunze refugium lights and a IM 9w refugium light. The tunze's were planned but when nitrates kept creeping up I scrounged through my "fish box" and grabbed an extra light I already have. I only added the last 9w three day ago but in that time the nitrates went up, not down. I do realize three days is nothing but it's the wrong trend.

Finally, I polled my fish and they said feeding heavy is good. :) More seriously, I've cut back on feeding but it's probably still heavy.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimming more wet should help a little.

A filter sock or filter roller will reduce your nutrients for sure, if not currently being employed.

Run the refugium light cycle longer. You could add another tunze light or some other larger light.

I second the bacteria dosing suggestion. I use Microbacter 7.

Last edited:

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe build up your bio diversity with some ceramic media I use a ton it takes up my whole sump just my opinion

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With time the nitrate levels may trend toward zero as the tank matures. Add pods and feed less.
Your water change schedule is daunting.

OP
OP
vanguard

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water change schedule is daunting.
Our mixing station makes it pretty easy. My wife and I can do it in under 15 minutes. Reloading the mixing station does take a few hours but it's mostly "machine time", not my personal time.

OP
OP
vanguard

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a thought. I think that the way my bella goby and I mix the sand prevents it from being a nitrate trap or from processing that nitrate to nitrogen gas.

My sand is clean like a one day old tank. It's because the bella goby moves it around and I move it back. I like it that way, I place a high priority on clean sand. However, I bet it's also why my nitrates aren't processing into nitrogen the way other tanks are.

I'm still struggling to come up with an answer. I'm leaning towards Red Sea NO3: PO4-X because people say it impacts NO3 more than PO4. That's what I need.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning towards Red Sea NO3: PO4-X because people say it impacts NO3 more than PO4. That's what I need.

That's true of all organic carbon dosing, including DIY with vodka or vinegar.

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm leaning towards Red Sea NO3: PO4-X because people say it impacts NO3 more than PO4. That's what I need.
I just started using the nopox and it has redced my PO4 more then the NO3. Worth a shot I guess, but I am in the leave it alone group as I dont think your numbers are terrible.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started using the nopox and it has redced my PO4 more then the NO3. Worth a shot I guess, but I am in the leave it alone group as I dont think your numbers are terrible.

I expect that observation reflects test error as opposed to differences in uptake. There's no reason for that to happen, and two primary reasons it happens the other way around:

1. Growing organisms incorporate far more N than P into their tissue as they grow, including bacteria.

2. Organics can promote denitrification, a process that lowers nitrate and does not impact phosphate.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious if you are having a specific problem with the tank? The numbers to me aren’t that high. If algae is an issue, more cuc can take care of it.

OP
OP
vanguard

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious if you are having a specific problem with the tank? The numbers to me aren’t that high. If algae is an issue, more cuc can take care of it.
Good questions. I do have issues but they aren't bad yet.

1. I have some mild hair algae but the issue is that it's trending worse in spite of my CUC and manual efforts.
  2. My nitrates may not be that high at ~20 but they are trending in the wrong direction. This week I added an extra water change, even though I already change more than most. My nitrate still tested at ~20.
I didn't mention it but I was trying to get a fish to eat this week so I overfed more than usual. That's surely related to some of the readings I see now but it's just accelerated the existing trend.

After a LOT of reading I decided to dose vinegar and follow this schedule: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-vodka-and-vinegar-dosing-charts.1024056/

For day 1, I only added 30ml instead of 37. Tomorrow I'll follow the plan more precisely. I wanted a slightly slower ramp up.

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea NO3: PO4-X has done wonders for my nitrate issues. Helped me go from 75 to now consistent 10-20 range. (High bio load tank so 10-20 is fine for me)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no3 of 18 is not a huge deal. There are some inverts and corals that won't be happy at that level, so if you do/want to keep some of those, then you might need to lower it. If not, then just enjoy, but if they get too much higher then you might need to do something.

If you can add a second skimmer, this can sometimes do the job if you just need to maintain or slightly lower. Mature sandbed can turn no3 into nitrogen gas. A bit of organic carbon can also maintain or lower.

All of this said, if the tank is newer, I would not do much right now. Just watch the trends and see which way things are moving. There are biological processes that might be developing that you could interrupt if you interfere too much.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back