Bacto-Balance Reduce N but not P?

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after my typical summer neglect, I started correcting myself with Tropic Marin Bacto-Balance. I also started dosing a smidge of phytoplankton and replenished my refugium with fresh Cheeto. Weird results, though. My nitrates dropped from an egregious 38 down to today 0.8. Over the same about 40 days, though, my phosphate level has been steadily rising from 1.36 to now 1.96. All tested by Hanna. The animals seem fine; in fact, the Duncan corals have emerged for the first time in months. But that ain’t no Redfield ratio. I thought the use of GFO might create a different problem of bottomed-out phosphate.

What on earth is this all about? Should I be looking at lanthanum cures, or just waiting for the phosphate levels to drop later?

Beachbilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20240126_165400_Chrome.jpg

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose bacto balance and it does the same for my tank. I have to dose nitrate to keep my levels up. I test phosphates every few weeks but I don't take any corrective action.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a number of ways to reduce phosphate, but when it is that high, I do not think bactobalance or any organic carbon dosing method is a good way.

Lanthanum is likely the cheapest option. GFO is a good alternative, but will be a lot more expensive. I’m not a huge fan of aluminum oxide products like Phosguard or Kent phosphate sponge, , but it will work. If you use it, rinse it very well before use.

Long term, an ATS or growing macroalgae may work, but will require N dosing to take down that much phosphate.

How are you measuring phosphate?

OP
OP
KenRexford

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a number of ways to reduce phosphate, but when it is that high, I do not think bactobalance or any organic carbon dosing method is a good way.

Lanthanum is likely the cheapest option. GFO is a good alternative, but will be a lot more expensive. I’m not a huge fan of aluminum oxide products like Phosguard or Kent phosphate sponge, , but it will work. If you use it, rinse it very well before use.

Long term, an ATS or growing macroalgae may work, but will require N dosing to take down that much phosphate.

How are you measuring phosphate?
Hanna checker

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lanthanum chloride is probably going to be the best choice for concentrations that high. Carbon dosing is not all that effective for PO4 in my experience and it would take a lot of GFO for that much PO4. You just need to take the precautions with slow dripping into a 5 micron sock.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the threads I read it is GFO imbedded in a resin. You can use GFO if you are concerned about your tangs. It is just going to take a lot it. I got tired of replacing it and getting very little reduction and went to Lanthanum. Keep in mind there is several times more PO4 bound up in your rocks than is in the water column. I just circulate water from my sump through a separate 5-micron filter sock using a Sicce Syncra 1.5 and drip in 1 liter of RODI mixed with 5 ml of SeaClear into the sock through a plant dripper at 150-250 ml/hr. I have not seen any issues with my tangs, but I know there are others that have.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worried about negative impact on tangs, though

Yes, that's a valid concern. I don't have a perfect answer for it since I do not think it is understood why it sometimes is a problem and mostly is not.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the threads I read it is GFO imbedded in a resin. You can use GFO if you are concerned about your tangs. It is just going to take a lot it. I got tired of replacing it and getting very little reduction and went to Lanthanum. Keep in mind there is several times more PO4 bound up in your rocks than is in the water column. I just circulate water from my sump through a separate 5-micron filter sock using a Sicce Syncra 1.5 and drip in 1 liter of RODI mixed with 5 ml of SeaClear into the sock through a plant dripper at 150-250 ml/hr. I have not seen any issues with my tangs, but I know there are others that have.

I don't think any type of GFO has been associated with any fish issues the way lanthanum has.

OP
OP
KenRexford

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I should just hold onto the saying that nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. Wait for the phosphate to drop eventually, but should I consider dosing nitrates in the interim if I do that?

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I should just hold onto the saying that nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. Wait for the phosphate to drop eventually, but should I consider dosing nitrates in the interim if I do that?

If nitrate drops below a few ppm, I would dose N in some form.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember Bacto-Bal maintains. It adds N & P to sustain the carbon dosing. You will need to get the p04 down manually. Obviously, they recommend Elimi-NP but it can be done other ways.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bacto Balance does not reduce, but rather maintains levels within a targeted range. IMO, .8 is really low for NO3. What other nutrient export methods do you employ?

Your PO4 is likely rising due to your phyto dosing.

+1 phosguard. I use it to reduce / control my PO4 levels, as I a) also dose Bacto Balance; and b) see an increase in PO4 due to phyto dosing.

OP
OP
KenRexford

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just refreshed my gfo and will stop phyto. Ordered some elimi-np and Tropic Marin amino-organic. My refugium is doing what it does. Maybe I’ll get some better results…

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back