Tropic Marin NP Bacto Balance

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started using bacto balance, my numbers are where I want them, do I continue with the same dose, drop it or discontinue until N+P increase?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nutrients were lowered down to the range you want, then I would gradually pull back on the carbon dose.

Dipi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theoretically, Bacto Balance provide N and P in order to maintain your nutrients levels stable while growing the bacteria, so you wouldn't need to stop dosing. Probably you just need to fine tune your dosing to reach this balance

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reduce not stop?
Presumably before you started dosing it, your nutrients were higher than you wanted. Because I'm guessing that's why you started doing it. Now that you've brought it down to your target, you probably won't need as much to maintain something close to your target.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d follow the manufacturer’s instructions of NP Bacto Balance. It claims to maintain nutrients.

If your nutrients change after 1-2 weeks you can make adjustments to your dose.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Presumably before you started dosing it, your nutrients were higher than you wanted. Because I'm guessing that's why you started doing it. Now that you've brought it down to your target, you probably won't need as much to maintain something close to your target.
That makes sense…but the dosing is not based on your lvl of N+P its based on tank size, thats why I’m unsure if the dosage needs reducing, bacto also adds N+P to safeguard dropping to zero, again as this is based on tank size, would dropping the dose not supply enough N+P needed for the size of tank? but if I keep the dose the same would that create issues also? hence my confusion.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is easy for a product to offer "balanced nutrients" and on its own, it may even be shown to do so - it may keep water at a set NO3 and PO4 at those levels while growing bacteria.
But interpreting that as a product "balancing the nutrients in your tank" isn't logical. Tanks have many combinations of inputs. It can't possibly predict and balance those different inputs in each individual tank.
If using it lowered nutrients in the tank, then I'd back off the amount I'm using when the nutrients got low to where I wanted them.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is easy for a product to offer "balanced nutrients" and on its own, it may even be shown to do so - it may keep water at a set NO3 and PO4 at those levels while growing bacteria.
But interpreting that as a product "balancing the nutrients in your tank" isn't logical. Tanks have many combinations of inputs. It can't possibly predict and balance those different inputs in each individual tank.
If using it lowered nutrients in the tank, then I'd back off the amount I'm using when the nutrients got low to where I wanted them.
Exactly this! Don’t dose off tank size… I dose 8ml daily in a heavily stocked 350 gallon tank. It doesn’t take much to keep it suppressed. I know it’s a pain but you gotta test, test, test and when you get the numbers you want keep it there with a Maintence dose.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For several months had very difficult time keeping PO4 under 1.0. With daily small dosing am able to keep at .04. Was skeptical myself but so far after a little over 2 months numbers are very consistent.
Exactly my experience too, my po4 was hitting 0.1, loads of dirty rowa and cloudy phosguard later, po4 was still high, within a week of using bacto my po4 started dropping, now its between 0.02-0.04, seems too good to be true…early days I understand.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly my experience too, my po4 was hitting 0.1, loads of dirty rowa and cloudy phosguard later, po4 was still high, within a week of using bacto my po4 started dropping, now its between 0.02-0.04, seems too good to be true…early days I understand.

Your phosphate was at 0.1 ppm and after loads of GFO and aluminum oxide and it was “still high”?

Seems hard to understand, and lowering it may not have need needed anyway.

In general, folks should not believe that bactobalance can lower phosphate when GFO cannot.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphate was at 0.1 ppm and after loads of GFO and aluminum oxide and it was “still high”?

Seems hard to understand, and lowering it may not have need needed anyway.

In general, folks should not believe that bactobalance can lower phosphate when GFO cannot.
Yes I know, I would have picked up on that myself if I a saw such a post…I did rinse the rowa extensively, until absolutely no rust was coming of the rowa, I also stuffed the reactor with a ton of filter floss, blocking the reactor within days with detritus and rowa, had a couple of occasions when the rowa escaped from the reactor so was a little paranoid, so to be fair it was me not the rowa, same for the phosguard, rinsing a lot and still clouded water, and the thought I was adding aluminium was an irritant for me.

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it should be able to drop P, assuming N is present. Although, at recommended doses should “maintain” — at least based on product description.

I accidentally overdosed it a few weeks ago (like 5x- 20x recommended dose, I don’t know exact amount — pump issue). My N went from 15 to 0, and P dropped from .20 to 0.9 in a 36 hours. I assume P would have dropped further if I had more N.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it should be able to drop P, assuming N is present. Although, at recommended doses should “maintain” — at least based on product description.

I accidentally overdosed it a few weeks ago (like 5x- 20x recommended dose, I don’t know exact amount — pump issue). My N went from 15 to 0, and P dropped from .20 to 0.9 in a 36 hours. I assume P would have dropped further if I had more N.
You have it on an airtight dosing pump?

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have it on an airtight dosing pump?
It was a “priming” incident and someone helping me dumped the excess back into tank. Everyone survived, I did run skimmer really wet for about 3 days which would have sucked up some nutrients too. And fuge 24x7 in help with O2. The water never got cloudy, so I want ultra concerned.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a “priming” incident and someone helping me dumped the excess back into tank. Everyone survived, I did run skimmer really wet for about 3 days which would have sucked up some nutrients too. And fuge 24x7 in help with O2. The water never got cloudy, so I want ultra concerned.
I believe bacto is meant to be in a sealed airtight container when dosing as it will go mouldy ,that was my question.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back