Tackle cyano or high nitrates 1st?

mmorrison55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 3, 2024
Messages
1,849
Reaction score
1,538
Location
Tampa
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As the title suggests, im having a. It of a cyano outbreak on my rocks and possible sand bed. The red slime definitely on the rocks, it sand bed is not slimy but is kind of spotty with reddish brown coloration.

Anyways, my nitrates are a bit high, 21.7 as of last check a day ago, phosphate was at .17.

I’ve got some tropic Marin carbon dosing on order, the NP bacto balance and Elimi-NP, as well as some Cyo-control.

Should I continue to vacuum the cyano manually while getting the nitrate and phosphate under control 1st before doing the cyano treatment on the tank?

Feedback and opinions are appreciated.

FYI… I do have an algae reactor with chaeto, but I guess it’s not mature enough yet to export the nutrients.
 
Last edited:
battle both at the same time, vacuum as much as you can and water change at same time..if you have a sand bed and have not cleaned it in a while, do so. feed less, increase flow in areas where cyano have taken hold. i didnt see a skimmer for export in your build thread, are you running one? never mind about skimmer just saw it lol.
 
battle both at the same time, vacuum as much as you can and water change at same time..if you have a sand bed and have not cleaned it in a while, do so. feed less, increase flow in areas where cyano have taken hold. i didnt see a skimmer for export in your build thread, are you running one? never mind about skimmer just saw it lol.
Thanks for the feedback…

Yeah, I need to update my build thread. I haven’t given it the attention it deserves, but yes, I do have a skimmer as well as running a fleece roller mat.
 
Go to reef cleaners website, they have some pretty good info on battleing different types of algae/bacteria outbreaks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new