No Bacto balance with high nitrates

Bastiaan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve recently been using NP bacto balance on my 55 Gal reef tank. I started carbon dosing with Np when my Po4 was sitting around 0.07ppm and my No3 was sitting at 15ppm. I started with less than the recommended amount as suggested to me and it was my understanding that Np should be able to keep the levels pretty much balanced. However Po4 has now started to exceed 0.12ppm and No3 is creeping towards 24.5ppm. Basically what I’m asking is did I make an error by using Np bacto balance? All inhabitants in the tank coral and fish show no sign of stress. LPS dominant tank with 6 fish total.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing will ever balance nutrient’s perfectly. Even for the pro’s it’s a back and forth tweaking game until the tank hits a certain level of stability and is not tinkered with much or changed. You have to dose, and learn how to increase/decrease each one. It is one of the most challenging things in reefing, and takes experience to master it. Best of luck.

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve recently been using NP bacto balance on my 55 Gal reef tank. I started carbon dosing with Np when my Po4 was sitting around 0.07ppm and my No3 was sitting at 15ppm. I started with less than the recommended amount as suggested to me and it was my understanding that Np should be able to keep the levels pretty much balanced. However Po4 has now started to exceed 0.12ppm and No3 is creeping towards 24.5ppm. Basically what I’m asking is did I make an error by using Np bacto balance? All inhabitants in the tank coral and fish show no sign of stress. LPS dominant tank with 6 fish total.
I start dosing npb 2 months ago.
50-60gallons ish system. 1ml/day.
No3 are stable but i have to dose 0.03 po4/day.

Like you i don't know if i should increase or decrease the npb dose or live with it. Lol

When did you start dosing ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back