How to ‘fix’ zoa coloration

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a week or two ago I received a large coral shipment. Most everything was good and healthy but a couple of the zoas look NOTHING like the pictures. I probably would have said something but I got so many corals and different zoas in I was more worried about placement and getting them happy then making sure everything was right. So basically there’s these two
This was bought as USA Paly:
What I bought:
1615229763886.png

what I received:
1615229788190.png

Very browned out and look almost like my bloodsuckers that are in front of them
Next up these were bought as blue eyes beauty paly:
What I bought
1615229878908.png

What I received:
1615229895976.png

Not nearly as bad but I feel like they’re lacking a lot and they look very solid colored compared to what I bought.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roids or broadcasting zooanth pyhto will increase coloration, lol you can even see it if you feed one polyp some reef roids after eating and then opening up it will be a lot brighter than the other zoas

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a week or two ago I received a large coral shipment. Most everything was good and healthy but a couple of the zoas look NOTHING like the pictures. I probably would have said something but I got so many corals and different zoas in I was more worried about placement and getting them happy then making sure everything was right. So basically there’s these two
This was bought as USA Paly:
What I bought:
1615229763886.png

what I received:
1615229788190.png

Very browned out and look almost like my bloodsuckers that are in front of them
Next up these were bought as blue eyes beauty paly:
What I bought
1615229878908.png

What I received:
1615229895976.png

Not nearly as bad but I feel like they’re lacking a lot and they look very solid colored compared to what I bought.
I see the resemblances of both these. Different light and such can and will change the colors of the zoa/paly.
I gave utter choas to a couple of friends. Mine stayed the same but both theirs completely changed. They don't look similar to mine or each other.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roids or broadcasting zooanth pyhto will increase coloration, lol you can even see it if you feed one polyp some reef roids after eating and then opening up it will be a lot brighter than the other zoas
I normally spot feed everything every 3 days but stopped because I was fighting dinos. I finally beat them so I’ll be starting that up again soon! :) Also was dosing phyto daily but stopped because I am using UV and kind of makes it pointless but I’ll take down the UV here in a week or two to make sure the dinos are gone

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the resemblances of both these. Different light and such can and will change the colors of the zoa/paly.
I gave utter choas to a couple of friends. Mine stayed the same but both theirs completely changed. They don't look similar to mine or each other.
Is there any way to bring them back to the original? Like higher or lower in the tank? I’ve just never had this happen and I have quite a variety of zoas

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to feed them but they might’ve used filters. I know a lot of big brand and even small brand sellers put filters, not lense on a camera (which ig is a filter lol) over the image, after it’s been taken. Not sure why but it’s very misleading and irritating. That’s just my 2¢ because sure lighting changes but that cant explain a yellow to green or some other colors missinf or shifting

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally spot feed everything every 3 days but stopped because I was fighting dinos. I finally beat them so I’ll be starting that up again soon! :) Also was dosing phyto daily but stopped because I am using UV and kind of makes it pointless but I’ll take down the UV here in a week or two to make sure the dinos are gone
Sounds good I run UV 24/7 , lol I’m scarred from Dino’s

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to bring them back to the original? Like higher or lower in the tank? I’ve just never had this happen and I have quite a variety of zoas
Unless you can replicate 100% the tank they came from, highly unlikely. Plus the chance they could’ve been using a filter on the pictures. never know though give them time they might change.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back