GenericReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
I've been looking into an ATO. The thing is the budget :(
Absolutely cannot go over $100, but still looking for lower range prices. I've found a bunch of low cost ones on this ebay store:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/autotopoff/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
but my other worry are my snails getting on it :p
Are any of them "snail-proof"?
Or any other suggestions?

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can build one yourself with a micro controller (like Arduino), a cheap little pump, and some optical water level sensors and/or float switches.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a dosing pump to dose a set amount of fresh water every hour. I use a DIY dosing pump that I tossed together for $15 - $20, but any dosing pump would work. I had to re-adjust recently, as winter has come to MD and evaporation has increased. But this is the first time I've adjusted the amount dosed since the spring.

Other than that, no problems. No worries about optical sensors getting dirty, no concerns about float switches getting stuck, nothing. I like cheap and low-tech, and this fit the bill quite nicely.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one of their auto top off units with a cheap jebao pump. I have the double unit. I've used their top off units for years and they are extremely reliable. I highly recommend them. :)

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the slightest on anything DIY. Got any tutorials?

It involves electrical work and coding so if you're not into that maybe it's not the best diy project to start with. The hardware is not that complicated, you have a few sensors going into the controller and then software that tells it what to do depending on what value (1/0) the sensors are returning. And then a relay to turn the pump on or off. In its simplest form it would just send a signal to the pump when the lower sensor return that it's out off the water and then turn it off again when the higher situated sensor is triggered. But normally you want som additional failsafes too.

Found a thread on RC with a arduino ato project with the code if you want to have a look.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2420581

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
I've been looking into an ATO. The thing is the budget :(
Absolutely cannot go over $100, but still looking for lower range prices. I've found a bunch of low cost ones on this ebay store:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/autotopoff/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
but my other worry are my snails getting on it :p
Are any of them "snail-proof"?
Or any other suggestions?

They come with snail guards, it's the white plastic "bottle". Goes around the main float.

These are well built units.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20171119_113533.jpg

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Float switches can be problematic.

Have hydro smart level running on many tanks for years.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Float switches can be problematic.

Have hydro smart level running on many tanks for years.

I agree, never just use a mechanical float valve as a ATO. They can stick open and flood your system.

Now I've used the Autotopoff electrical float switches for 15 years now and have never had a issue with them. As long as you use the snail guard on them and clean the float once a year, it's flawless. I would definitely buy them again and again.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D seems like general positive review for the mechanical float valve. How would I clean it?

Just set it in a cup of vinegar/water. As you would with pumps and rinse. Keeps build up from forming.

There's a ceramic shaft and a ceramic ring that floats on the shaft. Just want it to be clean to move freely. Very easy to do and maybe needed every year or maybe every couple years.

OP
OP
GenericReefer

GenericReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I got a gift card for Amazon, so both the hydro and eBay option cost the same, the hydor looks more sleek, and seems more trustworthy. What do you guys think?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I got a gift card for Amazon, so both the hydro and eBay option cost the same, the hydor looks more sleek, and seems more trustworthy. What do you guys think?

The hydro uses conductivity to sense the water level. The sensor probes would be the only thing that would have me concerned. Read as many reviews as you can on each unit and make your decision based on what others are saying.

OP
OP
GenericReefer

GenericReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll go with the auto top off option. In your photos, there is a bottom piece to the pvc pipe. And what is setup like?

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a mechanical float switch plumbed directly to my RODI system for 10 years and have never had a flood. Sacrilege! Naive! Insane ! In the last 3 years I have added a high water switch and a solenoid so the controller will shut off the ware supply if the float gets stuck. No mater what you do, an aquarium is never a set up and forget system.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cheap one from autotopoff.com along with one of the pumps they sell. It has a snail guard. It has worked fine for 2 years.

Back