How to Balance Nutrients

Steelheader09

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 7, 2017
Messages
340
Reaction score
356
Location
Maine
What state or country do you live in
Maine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having an algae issue. My Nitrates are .1 and my Phosphates are .4. What is the best way to get them in balance? Should I dose for nitrates?
 
For one if you're seeing algae those numbers actually higher. The algae will consume nitrates and phosphates. Depends on what corals you want to keep or have. Nitrates low end for SPS; Mixed reef around 2-5ppm; Soft corals 5-10ppm
 
For one if you're seeing algae those numbers actually higher. The algae will consume nitrates and phosphates. Depends on what corals you want to keep or have. Nitrates low end for SPS; Mixed reef around 2-5ppm; Soft corals 5-10ppm
I have thought of that, I have been doing a lot of manual removal and just added 250 more snails of various species to help beat it back. I will also be doing some water changes.
 
Run some gfo to reduce phosphate.
Bring nitrates up a bit, either feed more or dose some sodium nitrate.
 
Dealing with algae by reducing nutrients is not generally the best plan. It can starve corals before killing off all the algae. Your nitrate is also already lower than desirable.

I'd look to other means to reduce algae, such as by herbivores.
 
Dealing with algae by reducing nutrients is not generally the best plan. It can starve corals before killing off all the algae. Your nitrate is also already lower than desirable.

I'd look to other means to reduce algae, such as by herbivores.
Thank you. Just got an order of snails in from reef cleaners. 25 Astreas, 90 dwarf ceriths, 38 Florida ceriths, 23 Nassarius, 25 nerites, 50 zebra periwinkles, and 6 mexican turbos. Hopefully they will help my 3 tangs take care of it.
 
Please make sure the snails don’t have pests like hydroids or vermited snails.
They looked clean. I got them from reefcleaners.org which is very reputible i believe. I had a small vermitid issue before but my bumble bee snails took them out.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new