How to better disolve dow flakes?

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using dow flakes for many years and it's never really dissolved very well and I was wondering if this just the way it is or if there is a trick to get it to dissolve completely. It would probably lead to more consistency if it dissolved completely. I use 1000g to 4 gallons of water usualy. I use an old formula from Randy I belive.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dissolve MgCl or MgSO4 in saltwater and those dissolve completely? Mg is highly soluble. I used to use some reefsalt mixes that left a could in the container and it turns out that is clay (used to keep the salt from clumping together). I suppose that Dowflake has some impurities in it (like the salt) that will not dissolve, otherwise I believe magnesium salts (pure) would not leave a residue until the MG was supersaturated. If you add more water and still have a residue then your magflake has impurities.

hth.
Jon Heder Reaction GIF by reactionseditor
Bump!

OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dissolve MgCl or MgSO4 in saltwater and those dissolve completely? Mg is highly soluble. I used to use some reefsalt mixes that left a could in the container and it turns out that is clay (used to keep the salt from clumping together). I suppose that Dowflake has some impurities in it (like the salt) that will not dissolve, otherwise I believe magnesium salts (pure) would not leave a residue until the MG was supersaturated. If you add more water and still have a residue then your magflake has impurities.

hth.
Jon Heder Reaction GIF by reactionseditor
Bump!
I'm sure it has some impurities in it. I dind't think about adding more water. That makes sense but if I do so Ill have to keep tweaking the timers on my dossing pumps b/c the solution will be diluted. My guess is that its impurities. I have a 50lb bag of this stuff that I have been user forever and its almost gone. When I run out I will probably just look for something more pure. Thanks for the input.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back