How to Bleach Corals?

Horn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank as been set up for a while and I would like to change the look up. I was thinking of going with the bleached coral look that was popular a few years ago. How should I go about bleaching by cora? One idea I have is to add a lot of GFO and perform a large water change. Another is to ramp my lights up to 100% or run them very low.

james983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleached corals were popular years ago because we couldn't grow corals. So, in the early days pet stores would sell dead coral skeletons as decorations in salt water tanks. Fortunately for us we are now able to keep corals alive. Don't really know why you would want to kill your corals for what used to be common.

In any event, I'm pretty sure that a week or so of no lighting will bleach your corals. Resilient ones may actually come back but I'm assuming you won't be dosing or running a Calcium Reactor so that may prevent any re- generation.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank as been set up for a while and I would like to change the look up. I was thinking of going with the bleached coral look that was popular a few years ago. How should I go about bleaching by cora? One idea I have is to add a lot of GFO and perform a large water change. Another is to ramp my lights up to 100% or run them very low.
This is sarcasm... right?

Tegridy Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think I can donate u some of my dead skeleton pieces and I'm sure others have some laying around to u could get

bairdimusprime

Bill
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why on earth would you kill off your coral? especially if they're wild collected all you would be doing is hurt our hobby's reputation a little more...
please if you wish for the dead coral look just buy dried corals and give the ones you no longer want away

human

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? I'm confused, why would you want to intentionally bleach out your corals and eventually cause their demise? If you want the bleached, dead, barren look why don't you just give away or sell the corals you have and buy coral skeletons or fake corals. I've done a lot of crazy things in my life, but I would never intentionally hurt any animal just bc I don't like the looks of it.

OP
OP
H

Horn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. It seems like reducing the lights is the concensus here.

BTW I am not planing on buying coral to kill them. The coral is already in my tank and has been for years.

Buying dry coral is worse for the environment then using coral I grew in my tank from small frags. The dried coral is live coral comes straight from the ocean and then killed. My coral is captive grown.

human

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. It seems like reducing the lights is the concensus here.

BTW I am not planing on buying coral to kill them. The coral is already in my tank and has been for years.

Buying dry coral is worse for the environment then using coral I grew in my tank from small frags. The dried coral is live coral comes straight from the ocean and then killed. My coral is captive grown.
I still don't understand why you'd want to kill them. After they've died, they're not going to stay white for long, the algae will cover them eventually.

reef_grrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not sell your corals to someone who wants them, and buy artificial corals to decorate your tank? I just can't get behind murdering coral. This give all us hobbyists a bad name, IMHO. Just more fodder for people who are against the hobby as it is. Definitely not in the spirit of reef keeping.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, some people just dont have too much common sense IMO. Please do not kill the coral. Buy fake coral that u can clean to keep it white if thats what u want. A lot of people would love to try and keep coral yet cant afford them, yet u are trying to bleach them?
"COME ON MAN"!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back