How to breed Peppermint Shrimp

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I wasn't sure if this belonged in the invert forums or breeding, so I made this exact post in both. I have male and female peppermint shrimp who have been getting along well with their bottom-of-the-tank mates such as the cleaner shrimp, hermits, snails, hermit crab(an impulse buy), and brittle star. They along with the peppermint shrimp molt every two weeks which makes me think that I am doing something right by them if they are comfortable enough to do this often. To my amazement, they had hundreds of babies one night. I tried catching some in the breeding net that I have saved for when I get ponies(because of course if I have a male and female I am preparing for this too), but couldn't catch any. I noticed my female lurking far away from her friend under a rock she normally doesn't go near. I decided to go ahead and net her into the breeding net and added some live rock to help her feel at home until sunset. My question is, do they lay eggs and then the male fertilizes them or does she carry the eggs until it is time for them to hatch under her tail? Should I remove her and just try to net the babies for better effect? I view this as a chance to practice feeding live brine shrimp for the day when I have a mated pair of ponies, and I can always give the fully grown babies to my LFS.

image_from_ios_720.jpg

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert, but if I am not mistaken most larval crustaceans are quite fragile and challenging to rear...I was under the impression that catching one with a cup (where the larvae would stay submerged) would be safer than trying to net one. I don't recall seeing anything on breeding peppermint shrimp, but I have seen a few articles and forum journals on raising sexy shrimp...those may be worth a look.

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iwi
I am no expert, but if I am not mistaken most larval crustaceans are quite fragile and challenging to rear...I was under the impression that catching one with a cup (where the larvae would stay submerged) would be safer than trying to net one. I don't recall seeing anything on breeding peppermint shrimp, but I have seen a few articles and forum journals on raising sexy shrimp...those may be worth a look.
I will use a glass jar that I normally use for adding calcium and such to catch them up. If netting them out kills them than I won't do that.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been done, but is quite difficult. More like extremely difficult. They have a larval stage before settlement (can't recall how long, either 30 or 60 days, I thought it was 60 but I could be wrong) and they end up dying right before settlement in most cases, incredibly frustrating. They need constant live foods in suspension to feed and perfect water quality. It's quite the feat to get them to settle out.
To answer the other question, the eggs are already fertilized, she is holding them until hatch when she releases them.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been bred and I don't think it is overly complicated, just not easy and simple enough for commercial breeding.

With shrimp, you fare best by using a planktonkreisel that keeps them and their food in suspension. Here a video I found that shows one in action:

BTW, like all Lysmata shrimp, they start as males, then are hermaphrodites for a couple of years, and finally are just females for the rest of their lives.

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th
They have been bred and I don't think it is overly complicated, just not easy and simple enough for commercial breeding.

With shrimp, you fare best by using a planktonkreisel that keeps them and their food in suspension. Here a video I found that shows one in action:

BTW, like all Lysmata shrimp, they start as males, then are hermaphrodites for a couple of years, and finally are just females for the rest of their lives.

That is also a great idea for when I get sea horses and if they hav babies. Thank you!

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another write up on peppermints, this bucket method seems the easiest.

That is awesome I would love to try this DIY method. I just need to get another tank and the proper stuff. I already have the rest. Thank you!

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another write up on peppermints, this bucket method seems the easiest.

This is by far the easiest marine larva tank I have ever seen. Thanks for bringing this article out...looks FAR easier to build than a Kreisel.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is by far the easiest marine larva tank I have ever seen. Thanks for bringing this article out...looks FAR easier to build than a Kreisel.
I used octagonal tanks with a rotational flow like that and they work a lot better than square tanks, but they are not as effective in keeping larvae and food in suspension as a kreisel.

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will begin making this breeding tank. Any practice I can get now for the ponies that I want in the future will be much appreciated. And if I am successful with this, I can always trade the babies for store credit at my LFS.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should also be able to turn a bucket into a kreisel in a similar setup.
I plan on experimenting with cheaper, improvised setups before putting money into a more "professional" built.
The thing is also that different species may do better in one or the other. You have to try to find out...

OlderManSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I wasn't sure if this belonged in the invert forums or breeding, so I made this exact post in both. I have male and female peppermint shrimp who have been getting along well with their bottom-of-the-tank mates such as the cleaner shrimp, hermits, snails, hermit crab(an impulse buy), and brittle star. They along with the peppermint shrimp molt every two weeks which makes me think that I am doing something right by them if they are comfortable enough to do this often. To my amazement, they had hundreds of babies one night. I tried catching some in the breeding net that I have saved for when I get ponies(because of course if I have a male and female I am preparing for this too), but couldn't catch any. I noticed my female lurking far away from her friend under a rock she normally doesn't go near. I decided to go ahead and net her into the breeding net and added some live rock to help her feel at home until sunset. My question is, do they lay eggs and then the male fertilizes them or does she carry the eggs until it is time for them to hatch under her tail? Should I remove her and just try to net the babies for better effect? I view this as a chance to practice feeding live brine shrimp for the day when I have a mated pair of ponies, and I can always give the fully grown babies to my LFS.

image_from_ios_720.jpg

Several of the replies here are very good. There is a book with a wacky title, but I purchased it some years ago and was successful. It is called How to Raise and Train Your Peppermint Shrimp by April Kirkendoll. I just looked at Amazon and it is still available. My account says I bought my copy in 2012. With that and the updated information in the replies in this thread you should be able to do it.

The Amazon Book Review
The Amazon Book Review

Kan9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple years back I had a cleaner shrimp that instead of dispersing eggs from her tail dispersed little tiny cleaner shrimp. They were not larval at all. They were fully formed and running around the glass like adult shrimp but tiny. Is that normal?
Thats very cool! Do you happen to have a picture of this shrimp? Wonder what type of cleaner shrimp it was?

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple years back I had a cleaner shrimp that instead of dispersing eggs from her tail dispersed little tiny cleaner shrimp. They were not larval at all. They were fully formed and running around the glass like adult shrimp but tiny. Is that normal?
Yes. When the female shrimp molts it sends out pheromones to attract a male and the eggs get fertilized. Female then carries the eggs until the first larval stage (your miniature shrimp). Usually releasing soon after lights out. I don't have peppermint shrimp, but do have pistol shrimp. Lots of larvae over the years, but never tried to raise them.

Pugsct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image_from_ios_720.jpg
I had peppermint shrimp I never tried to breed Them but they had babies I would wake up and see the swarm in my tank and the fish going crazy over them

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that's not really normal.
Normally they carry the eggs until they hatch and release the larvae. Those then take weeks, if not months, to develop into the final shrimp.

What happened to your little shrimp? Any pictures of them?

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will begin making this breeding tank. Any practice I can get now for the ponies that I want in the future will be much appreciated. And if I am successful with this, I can always trade the babies for store credit at my LFS.
Actually if you let them grow large enough you could sell them yourself
i would buy

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back