How to build a "pest" resistant tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sump Crab
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Messages
2,201
Reaction score
3,192
Location
Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For every beautiful reef tank there seems to be two more overrun with "pests". Vermetid snails, bubble algae, red planaria, asterina starfish, the list is of invasive critters is endless! For those of you that do not have certain critters take over your tank, how did you do it?


For me it's all about diversity. My philosophy is simple, having all the "pests" ensures that just one will never take over. First of all I always start with legit ocean liverock (wild or aquacultured) and then I just continue running my tank with no qt or "pest" removal. I also use fish, and their feeding niche, strategically to help. In the end I have an ecosystem that seems to find a natural balance.


There are a ton of ways to skin a cat, how did you do it?

20240531_122907.jpg
 
I started with dry rock which didn't contain any pest on it. fast-forward to now and I still don't have any pest even with new coral additions. I think if you dip coral, use dry rock or be careful about what is on your large rock you can stay pretty pest-free.
 
I gave up trying to keep a sterile tank. It's just not worth the effort for me and it never happened so it brought disappointment as well. I welcome most pests, worms aiptasia etc. Seems like when I tried to eradicate them they just doubled down on reproducing. I stop trying to kill them all and they slow down so we just coexist.
 
I gave up trying to keep a sterile tank. It's just not worth the effort for me and it never happened so it brought disappointment as well. I welcome most pests, worms aiptasia etc. Seems like when I tried to eradicate them they just doubled down on reproducing. I stop trying to kill them all and they slow down so we just coexist.
Same here!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new