How to build fish immunity

Porcupine Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past my blue hippo did not get ich frequently, and when he did he only got minor infections. But more recently the fish got more outbreaks and it takes longer for him to fight it of. I'm under the impression that anything I add to the tank stresses him, and all I feed him is nori and frozen food soaked in vita chem, anything else I can do to help build his emunity?

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past my blue hippo did not get ich frequently, and when he did he only got minor infections. But more recently the fish got more outbreaks and it takes longer for him to fight it of. I'm under the impression that anything I add to the tank stresses him, and all I feed him is nori and frozen food soaked in vita chem, anything else I can do to help build his emunity?
Feeding enough good food, providing good water quality, and keeping the tang low stress is about all you can do for the fish's immune system, honestly.

The two threads below may help, but to address a few points here:

-What, how much, and how often are you feeding exactly?

-What changed in your tank that caused the tang to seemingly develop a weaker immune system? (Did you add fish, change the diet, change water parameters, change equipment used, etc?)

-Are all the fish getting along?

The threads (the first one is basically just a list of things to do to try and keep ich from getting out of hand in your tank, the second is basically a discussion on things you can try to maintain appropriate gut health in fish to help them fight off disease):

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back