How to catch a pistol shrimp

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got live rock a while ago and I’ve started hearing clicks in my tank at night, so I’m assuming it’s a shrimp because I’ve checked all my equipment and it’s not the equipment, so is there anything else that could be clicking or if it is a shrimp is there a way to catch it because I haven’t seen it yet.

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got live rock a while ago and I’ve started hearing clicks in my tank at night, so I’m assuming it’s a shrimp because I’ve checked all my equipment and it’s not the equipment, so is there anything else that could be clicking or if it is a shrimp is there a way to catch it because I haven’t seen it yet.
Don't know is it really a shrimp but if it is a shrimp then get a net and a small box and force it to go to a corner and with the help of the net,force it to go in small box. U hv to remove all your rockwork but it mostly works for a small tank. They r really hard to catch

Try to get it's pics if u can

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know is it really a shrimp but if it is a shrimp then get a net and a small box and force it to go to a corner and with the help of the net,force it to go in small box. U hv to remove all your rockwork but it mostly works for a small tank. They r really hard to catch

Try to get it's pics if u can
If I saw it I would catch it but Ive never seen it

Upvote 0

scottkoji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes there are 2-4 clicks simultaneously, can a pistol shrimp or mantis shrimps do that?
Do you mean in quick succession or simultaneously? bc 2-4 in quick succession would not be abnormal for a pistol. However, I'm unsure about a Mantis - I actually didn't even know they made a noise when they snapped until reading this post.

Upvote 0

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're dead set on identifying it, take the rock out and put into qt without sand until the shrimp climbs out to explore. If it is a pistol, it could come out on it's own or stay hidden for years in the dt. I have one that's out all the time and one that I never see. I actually thought one of mine died until I spotted it months after an upgrade/transfer.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're dead set on identifying it, take the rock out and put into qt without sand until the shrimp climbs out to explore. If it is a pistol, it could come out on it's own or stay hidden for years in the dt. I have one that's out all the time and one that I never see. I actually thought one of mine died until I spotted it months after an upgrade/transfer.
The rock is in a quarantine tank so I haven’t put the rocks up yet, but i have no idea where the shrimp is so i cant take the rock out where the shrimp is if i have no idea where it is.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean in quick succession or simultaneously? bc 2-4 in quick succession would not be abnormal for a pistol. However, I'm unsure about a Mantis - I actually didn't even know they made a noise when they snapped until reading this post.
Simultaneously, like 2-3 right after the other.

Upvote 0

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock is in a quarantine tank so I haven’t put the rocks up yet, but i have no idea where the shrimp is so i cant take the rock out where the shrimp is if i have no idea where it is.
You can separate the rocks into different partially filled buckets and listen for clicks and narrow it down from there. You could try traps but nothing ever worked for me when trying to catch my pistols. I tried to catch them to transfer them into my 125 upgrade but ultimately they hitch hiked on the rocks into the new tank. I swore one died in the process but I found him weeks after the upgrade. Good luck

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back