How to clean tank.

Cdime712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is how to clean a tank properly. Also am I supposed to get all of this build up on the bottom of my tank ? Just need some inside if this is okay and this is good.

20200911_100153.jpg 20200911_100146.jpg 20200911_100142.jpg

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is how to clean a tank properly. Also am I supposed to get all of this build up on the bottom of my tank ? Just need some inside if this is okay and this is good.

20200911_100153.jpg 20200911_100146.jpg 20200911_100142.jpg
Well you definitely need to clean your substrate which is usually done with a siphon hose type vacuum for the glass I personally like to use the scotch brand sponge with the green scrubber on other side of it it works very well and does not scratch your glass For the corners of the tag I suggest a very bristled toothbrush but that’s just how I do things I do a little bit of overkill when I clean because of my OCD

OP
OP
Cdime712

Cdime712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you definitely need to clean your substrate which is usually done with a siphon hose type vacuum for the glass I personally like to use the scotch brand sponge with the green scrubber on other side of it it works very well and does not scratch your glass For the corners of the tag I suggest a very bristled toothbrush but that’s just how I do things I do a little bit of overkill when I clean because of my OCD
My next question why the build after in a couple of days.? When you do clean a tank.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a perfect template for what you want

reefs develop those growths on the bottom in certain zones. Keep it if you like it.
But if you want to make it look like the high energy clean reef zone, we made that happen above. It’s nothing you buy or dose or add to the tank, cleaning it is simple hard work in a certain order we show. The fact you are cycled allows for cleaning without harm if you choose to make it look opposite. Cleaning cannot undo your cycle

Last edited:

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a fairly new tank. In my tanks I will see algae like that come and go as things change. Some tanks rarely have it, some tanks have it seasonally, some tanks may go several years then have a year where it's a constant nuisance for awhile as the system changes. Considering the reasearch showing algae putting potentially harmful compounds to coral in the water ( see Forest Rohwer's "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas") I always try to minimize algae with manual removal. Gravel siphons as mentioned above are a good method. I also use stainless steel straws to siphon stuff out. I would try to minimize removing sand but any sand that does get siphoned out can be soaked on H2O2 for a few hours to kill all the suff on it then returned to your tank.

OP
OP
Cdime712

Cdime712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The after math !

20200912_195620.jpg 20200912_195604.jpg

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that looks a lot better! For smaller tanks especially, they always look sharper when all four sides are kept clean, IMO. Looking at your aquascape, you could move the rock structure just as it is to the right a bit to facilitate easier cleaning of that left wall.

Part of the art of reef keeping maintenance for the long term is to make the inevitable cleaning chores as easy on yourself as possible. Having to maneuver around rock that is in the way is just a pain and makes it too easy to damage or knock off corals into the sand bed.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey this looks fully improved

it comes back in cycles, a little quicker if any clouding is left in the bed at the depths but that’s a nice turnaround above, repeat as needed

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back