HOW TO CLEAN WATER STORAGE TUB

EASTERN INDIGO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 350 gallon plastic potable water tub that held saltwater for many years. It has been dry now for about a year, and I would now like to start using it again. It has hard crud all over the bottom. The problem is that the opening is only about 8 inches wide, and I can't get in to scrub it. I have tried a scrubber on a long stick, but it is useless because I can't reach the sides and ends, and it is impossible to apply pressure except straight down. Is there anything that is safe to use to totally loosen the crud and then can be flushed out so the tank is clean? On the other hand, the crud is all saltwater mix buildup mixed with normal dark dust accumulated over time, so would it be safe to just leave it there? I would rather clean it. IF there is no negative residual effect that can harm a reef tank. Thanks.

Jstew75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depending on what kind of plastic your container is made out of nothing should permeate into it.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if clr has soaps in it. That would be bad. Would try white vinegar soak and if that no workie step it up with muriatic acid.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muriatic Acid. It's wicked (don't breathe the fumes), but the only thing that works for me for a serious clean of a container with calcium build up. CLR just isn't as effective.

OP
OP
E

EASTERN INDIGO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muriatic Acid. It's wicked (don't breathe the fumes), but the only thing that works for me for a serious clean of a container with calcium build up. CLR just isn't as effective.
I agree, and im going to try that. Any idea of the concentration and soak time?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar needs soak time. Muriatic acid works within minutes. Would try a 4 to 1 , water/acid. You’ll know in a few minutes if it needs to be stronger. Be careful where you spill it out after you’re done. Don’t want to pour it out on blacktop or patio blocks or concrete

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since most of the problem is usually on the bottom, I dump the whole gallon in the bottom first, and stand back. Let it do its thing for an hour or so, then add water, filling the container to get some cleaning on the sides. My container is only 30 gallons, so you may need a couple of gallons depending on how much surface area there is on the bottom of your container.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back