How to diagnose AEFW?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might have AEFW, but I never saw the actual organism.

If I dip an acropora with suspected flatworms, what type of container is best to see the flatworms?

Clear? White background?

Will a black light (about 400nm) help? Any tips?

The first step is diagnosing the culprit.

The symptom: many acroporas have a RTN/bleach appearance, but the polyps are still intact. It looks like an RTN/STN happened, but the polyps remained.

Some corals have a lighter skin patchy appearance.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiny white dots on the coral or the bottom like polka dot if you shine the white light on the coral at night. Brown eggs at the base. Or dip in melafix and they will float off in two minutes.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3080.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is this AEFW? 2 different acros. Both are staghorns

@jda @Charlie’s Frags

IMG_6453.jpeg
IMG_6454.jpeg

Here’s the base of one of the acros

IMG_6457.jpeg
IMG_6456.jpeg
You will see missing tissue which many refer to as bites out of coral tissue. The flatworms themselves represent polyclads as pictured below

1692493724132.png

The coral will looks something like this at first

1692493782778.png

They favor the body and bases of coral and consume flesh of coral which is their energy source.
Removal can be accomplished by siphoning them with a 3/8" tubing into a nylon stocking and discard
OR
Add a wrasse such as Yellow coris, 6 line, lunare or malanurus OR even a springieri damsel which will eat them

With the number you have, for the next 2 weeks you will have to look for eggs and scrape off as there is likely some and would be future acoels. Eggs are really tiny

1678293158905.png

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can actually see the flatworms on your coral bud. :/
IMG_3084.png
Can you circle it? I want to poke it with a pipette to see if it’ll fly off the coral. I need to see it to believe it. (I’m in denial lol)

I tried to dip a few severely damaged acros, but the dip water turned cloudy, and when I put the suspected “flatworm” in a microscope slide, it basically disintegrated. I wasn’t sure if it was a flatworm or just tissue.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG guys! It’s true, I do have AEFW. The purple staghorn is absolutely infested. I put a nice cutting in RO/DI and look at this!

I’m so happy. I’ve been having acro issues for MONTHS, and I always thought I was the problem. I obsessively sent ICP and tested my parameters because I thought it was my fault! I feel so validated!! :D

image.jpg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bud don’t use RODI, that’ll kill off your sps
I sacrificed that piece to give me clear identification. I needed to see it for myself. I tried saltwater with Coral RX, but the water was too cloudy to see anything. Perhaps there weren’t AEFM on those pieces, but it doesn’t matter at this point.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sacrificed that piece to give me clear identification. I needed to see it for myself. I tried saltwater with Coral RX, but the water was too cloudy to see anything. Perhaps there weren’t AEFM on those pieces, but it doesn’t matter at this point.
I had AEFW in a system with 100+ acros. You’ll be ok, if you don’t have that many acros. You just need to dip in melafix remove the basis, put these guys onto the Frag plugs and dip. They’re not a death sentence, unless you become too aggressive with dipping etc. Melafix is super good and doesn’t stress out acropora either. These guys fall off almost instantly with melafix. After one dip, your corals will begin to recover. So take it super slow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%

Back