OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But many of my corals are encrusted on the rocks.

Even if I manage to get all my acros in QT, there will still be pieces remaining on the rocks for the flatworms to complete their lifecycle.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3085.jpeg
TY! Always something I'm paranoid about and the more knowlede the better!

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But many of my corals are encrusted on the rocks.

Even if I manage to get all my acros in QT, there will still be pieces remaining on the rocks for the flatworms to complete their lifecycle.
I can't remember where on r2r but I read where some people have drained out enough water to spray mist (kcl I think but not sure) and let sit for 15 minutes or so and refill. Obviously don't quote me on that but it's something around those lines...

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres one link but several popped up for aefw in tank spray method and it looks like KCL potassium chloride is what is used

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey buddy sorry that happened, at least you know it's a pest and not a water quality issue or something your doing without knowing ( I like to find a positive) now you can work on dealing with it.

I seen on your build you were thinking about dosing up potassium, or treating the entire tank. I've had AEFW in a tank similar age to yours with the acropora in similar age and size, with that said I wouldn't try to treat the entire tank, and risk all the healthy BEAUTIFUL corals you have to try and save those acros, if they were giant thriving colonies that may be different but I would cut my losses and remove all the acropora for 6 months, any tissue that's encrusted to the rock you can't get, glue over that and starve out the FW's.

as far as adding fish to take care of them, that could work but sometimes the fish can be a pest too, and that doesn’t help the eggs, the quickest most natural way is to just remove the food source for long enough to starve them out.

imo, good luck, but luckily it's just AEFW's you still have tons of beautiful corals they don't care about! in a few months or more you get a few sticks, double dip them and start over ;)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey buddy sorry that happened, at least you know it's a pest and not a water quality issue or something your doing without knowing ( I like to find a positive) now you can work on dealing with it.

I seen on your build you were thinking about dosing up potassium, or treating the entire tank. I've had AEFW in a tank similar age to yours with the acropora in similar age and size, with that said I wouldn't try to treat the entire tank, and risk all the healthy BEAUTIFUL corals you have to try and save those acros, if they were giant thriving colonies that may be different but I would cut my losses and remove all the acropora for 6 months, any tissue that's encrusted to the rock you can't get, glue over that and starve out the FW's.

as far as adding fish to take care of them, that could work but sometimes the fish can be a pest too, and that doesn’t help the eggs, the quickest most natural way is to just remove the food source for long enough to starve them out.

imo, good luck, but luckily it's just AEFW's you still have tons of beautiful corals they don't care about! in a few months or more you get a few sticks, double dip them and start over ;)
I like this plan. Let’s do it. I’m going to get started now.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang! Sorry man just saw this… that sucks but you’ve been given great advice thus far and I’d proceed with removal and dips and placed into quarantine like mentioned… the parts that are encrusted you have a couple options, kalk paste, or super glue will take care of them.

Last edited:

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For dips I would use Potassium Chloride. It absolutely melts AEFW. It’s safe on your acros as well. Dip for 5-8 mins and baste with a dropper and they fly off.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back