How to do a dropoff?

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 118XH (36x24x31).

I am going to dry scape it and then put live sand and cured liverock in the fuge for the biological side of things.

He in is my quandry:

The tank is so tall for it's footprint, I think that a drop off reef would look really cool. Question is, how do I build it?

I dont want a bunch of egg crate shelves showing. But, I had thought maybe eggcrate with pond foam and then sand and epoxy.

Or does someone else have some ideas?

Whatever it is, I will have to put a pump that moves a bunch of water under the structure to keep detritus from settling back there and causing issues.

If you have sketches or pictures of something similar that would be a big plus.

Thanks so much for your input. I want to get this rolling because as soon as the new floor is in, this thing is getting setup so, while not an emergency, time is of the essence.

Once we figure this out, we will have to start discussing corals and placement. I was thinking softies on the face of the drop off and some tabling sps on the top part and, if we wind up with some kind of shelf, a couple clams on the sand of the top part. But, first things first! :)

Steven

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at these for some inspiration, albeit the tanks make the drop off, will give you some shaping ideas:

Philippe Grosjean’s Inspiring Drop Off Reef | glassbox-design.com

Drop Off LPS Reef - UltimateReef.com

In your situation I'd use PVC for strength. Build a structure then attach live rock to it to hide it. You might have the return from your sump dump in at the bottom of the tank behind the structure, and use powerheads up top to agitate the surface of the water. If you have a powerhead under the structure to clear away detrius you'll have a major PITA when it comes time to service it, not to mention it's easier to hide a little PVC return rather than a powerhead with cord and such.

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing that tank... I'd suggest using the closed loop hole to build a spraybar to keep the bottom stirred. Could you build a berm to keep the sand out of the back where you are worried about the detritus?

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that dropoff was my inspiration.

Gary, I hadn't thougth about doing that to keep the detritus out of it.

Dan, I like the idea but way too much sand in that end for me.

That being said, I think I will incorporate some of it.

Here is my idea:

I will build a box 18" high out of egg crate hiding the spray bar Gary mentioned and give it the foam and rock rubble treatment on front and one side allowing it to stick up over the top by about and inch. This will go in the back left corner. At the bottom of this about 2" tall I will put acrylic to hold back the sand bed. On top I will put a piece of acrylic laying flat and about 1" of sand on top. The protruding edges of the foam/rock wall will hold the sand bed up there (at least somewhat).

This will give me a two sided drop off and a sand bed up high for clams and some rock to mount sps on.

Off of the rock wall, I will put a few shelf rocks to put softies on and, on the lower sand bed, I will have some small island rocks with the lowest light stuff.

I wish I could draw, I would sketch this out so you could see what I mean.

Maybe somebody and visualize my madness and draw it up?

Thanks for all the input and keep the suggestions coming!

BTW, the tank will be lit by a reeflux 20K on an icecap 400watt ballast. Although, I am thinking of switching to reefoptics 14K...I really like the pictures I am seeing of this bulb.

Steven

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back