OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it shipped in water?

Can't give you a definitive time, but it will grow back. Plan to watch the ammonia closer, after it being delayed.
It’s been delayed for almost 24 hours now, should I just get my money back from kp aquatics or is there a still some beneficial bacteria on it?

Upvote 0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been delayed for almost 24 hours now, should I just get my money back from kp aquatics or is there a still some beneficial bacteria on it?
There is still a grip of bacteria in and on it.

You do know that overnight shipping is a relatively new thing, right? It used to take 3 days to get rocks wrapped in wet paper towel.

Talk to Philip at KP. Go through his outlined procedure for curing it. Watch Ammonia and be ready to do water changeS. I'll bet you've still got a bunch of living hitchhikers also. The bacteria is not gone.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is still a grip of bacteria in and on it.

You do know that overnight shipping is a relatively new thing, right? It used to take 3 days to get rocks wrapped in wet paper towel.

Talk to Philip at KP. Go through his outlined procedure for curing it. Watch Ammonia and be ready to do water changeS. I'll bet you've still got a bunch of living hitchhikers also. The bacteria is not gone.
how many days I’m I going to have to do daily water changes?

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how high the ammonia gets and whether or not you want to save any hitchhiker critters that are susceptible to ammonia poisoning...

Upvote 0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP Aquatics has a full write up on this on the website. Go read it. Your rock will come with a paper with them printed also.

You're going to need to check and watch Ammonia, until it's not producing it from die off. Nobody can give you that number

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP Aquatics has a full write up on this on the website. Go read it. Your rock will come with a paper with them printed also.

You're going to need to check and watch Ammonia, until it's not producing it from die off. Nobody can give you that number
I put the rock In but ammonia never spiked, what’s going on?

Upvote 0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the rock In but ammonia never spiked, what’s going on?
Live Rock bacteria will be processing the Ammonia. When you have more Ammonia, than ability to process it, you'll see a spike.

If you are not overloading it, it may not spike.

How does the rock look and smell?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Rock bacteria will be processing the Ammonia. When you have more Ammonia, than ability to process it, you'll see a spike.

If you are not overloading it, it may not spike.

How does the rock look and smell?
I can’t explain how the rock smells, the best I could say it is a pungent ocean smell. a lot of the critters were still alive I only found one dead worm and a few brittle stars, I still haven’t put in all the rocks. I put maybe 50-75 percent of the rock in.

Upvote 0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t explain how the rock smells, the best I could say it is a pungent ocean smell. a lot of the critters were still alive I only found one dead worm and a few brittle stars, I still haven’t put in all the rocks. I put maybe 50-75 percent of the rock in.
Die off smells gross. Not really like ocean, but like dead things.

The fact that your critters are alive is a good sign.

What do you mean put in all the rock?

Where are you curing it? If all of it isn't in water already, it should be.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Die off smells gross. Not really like ocean, but like dead things.

The fact that your critters are alive is a good sign.

What do you mean put in all the rock?

Where are you curing it? If all of it isn't in water already, it should be.
It came really late yesterday so I just put half of the rock in and put the other half in a bucket with a power head because I was too tired.

Upvote 0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It came really late yesterday so I just put half of the rock in and put the other half in a bucket with a power head because I was too tired.
In What is the question.

Are you putting this rock straight into your tank?

The rock in buckets needs heated as well.

Upvote 0

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spearer mantis shrimp or very large gorilla crabs could be a problem for fish, yes. Worms won't be.

There's no reasonable way to kill everything on that rock except the bacteria. My suggestion would be to chisel some tiny bits off the rock, closely inspect them for life, and put them in your tank, then find someone in your local area who wants the rest of the rock.

You don't need anything complicated to quarantine the rock, which I hope you've put in something for this thread. You just need an aquarium-safe container that holds water (i.e. a rubbermaid tub), some sort of flow, preferably a heater, and preferably some sort of light.
One little correction is I would say any gorilla crabs no matter how big (unless tiny) may harm fish and hobbit worms will harm fish and so will fireworms and a few others.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so you aren't following any of the instructions.. Honestly curious, why keep asking for advice here, when you aren't even following the curing instructions given by the people you bought the rock from?
I am, put the rock in a 5 gallon bucket to clean everything then I put it in another bucket to do a hypo dip and then on kp’s website it says I can cure it in the tank or In a bucket with a power head and air pump so I chose to put the rock in the tank and monitored the water parameters like it said. What other instructions Is there?

Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am, put the rock in a 5 gallon bucket to clean everything then I put it in another bucket to do a hypo dip and then on kp’s website it says I can cure it in the tank or In a bucket with a power head and air pump so I chose to put the rock in the tank and monitored the water parameters like it said. What other instructions Is there?
But in the rock in that I left in the bucket I saw a big worm and I’m scared it’s a bobbit so I think I will just leave the rock in there for a few days and see if I can see what it is.

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is not a bobbit worm. It may be some other species of eunicid, which you would probably want to remove, but I guarantee that's not a bobbit.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back