OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't give you a definitive answer to how many dips you would need to get everything because I didn't get everything. To be honest I'm not sure you ever could be 100% positive about it.

I did a few rocks at a time the first dip with only a power head, but yes, did have to go one at a time while swishing it around.

Some die off is to be expected. You may experience some loss. You already have in collection and transport but you bought it for the bacterial diversity as I understand it. You're still getting it.
Just curious how long did it take you to get your Kp rock?

Upvote 0

WeberKettleGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, to a FedEx hub. Got it straight off the plane.
We’re you able to overnight it to your house? Or do you live that close to the airport that hub pickup was better for you? I’m torn between the two options myself as I’m nearly two hours from a hub.

I feel your struggle on how to get some pests off, I’ve researched it into oblivion for my first build which I’m piecing together now. My two cents, I’ll probably just throw my live rock in a big Tupperware and see what falls off out of the box, then throw it in the tank. It does seem that more prefer the diversity that comes on the rocks. I think my only fear is gorilla crab or pistol shrimp, which can be captured with time and patience. I’m not necessarily worried about anything else. Hope this helps your decision! Post some pictures of your rock, I’m sure I’m not the only one that would love to see what you got!

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The thing about dips, at least for live rock, is that they can't get everything. Plenty of critters will be hidden inside the rock, where it would take hours or days for the salinity to finally get to them, by which point you'd kill pretty much all the beneficial life (including bacteria) and wind up with some really nasty dead rock. Plus, even a quick dip will cause some die-off, meaning the rock should really go into a quarantine environment until the dying stops.

Upvote 1

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On there website it says that i have to do a 30 percent water change every day, is this true?
For caution sake, why not.

If you have a reliable (not api) way to test ammonia, you can just monitor it and change if ammonia spikes.

There are other reasons I did, do water changes when I got the rock. I aggressively blew out all of the gunk from the rock pores and crevices, and didn't want that hanging out in the water.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For caution sake, why not.

If you have a reliable (not api) way to test ammonia, you can just monitor it and change if ammonia spikes.

There are other reasons I did, do water changes when I got the rock. I aggressively blew out all of the gunk from the rock pores and crevices, and didn't want that hanging out in the water.
I appreciate the help, how do you know where they’re going to ship it to you? I want to make sure i don’t have to drive 3 hours to pick it up.

Upvote 0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the help, how do you know where they’re going to ship it to you? I want to make sure i don’t have to drive 3 hours to pick it up.
That was all handled with Philip during ordering.

I requested to pick it up at the airport close to me, rather than have it taken off the FedEx cargo plane, Put on to a truck and driven around most of the day. FedEx to me doesn't usually deliver until after 5:00 p.m. I picked my rock up at 9:00 a.m. it was doing sorted through by 10am

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you probably won't get everything with the dip but I honesltly add live rock to my tank yearly and started with a bunch of live.. I was able to manually remove and trap stuff. I suspect even with dips you would need to. A bottle trap or even a glass leaning against the rock with food it in can get crabs. Do a couple dips and in it goes imo. The bacteria should be fine, they are tough.

FYI bristleworms are beneficial.
Sorry I meant fireworm

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some die off is to be expected. You may experience some loss. You already have in collection and transport but you bought it for the bacterial diversity as I understand it. You're still getting it.
How long until the die off grows back, my live rock just got delayed for like 13 hours so I imagine I had some die off?

Upvote 0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long until the die off grows back, my live rock just got delayed for like 13 hours so I imagine I had some die off?
Was it shipped in water?

Can't give you a definitive time, but it will grow back. Plan to watch the ammonia closer, after it being delayed.

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back